IRHA to wrestle with Veishea, terms and conditions issues

Amie Van Overmeer

Since it’s the only Iowa State student organization that has yet to vote on the alcohol-free Veishea pledge, the Inter-Residence Hall Association will be discussing resolutions surrounding Veishea and the pledge at tonight’s meeting.

IRHA Vice President Joe Foster said several different views on the Veishea pledge will be presented to the representatives.

“The UDA [Union Drive Association] senate passed a resolution, and they’re going to present it as a bill,” Foster said.

Bill Wychulis, vice president of the Towers Residence Association, also wrote a resolution about Veishea that will have its first reading tonight.

Wychulis said his resolution supports Veishea, but it does not support the way students are asked to take the alcohol-free Veishea pledge to continue the celebration.

IRHA, along with four other student governments bodies, must sign the Veishea pledge in order for Veishea to continue.

President Dave Sims said resolutions about Veishea will be presented, but there will be no vote.

The organization passed a resolution at its last meeting that delays voting on any legislation concerning Veishea until ISU President Martin Jischke speaks to parliament. Jischke will speak with IRHA at a special meeting Nov. 2.

IRHA also will discuss a bill passed last week that allocated $450 for conducting a survey to a joint IRHA and Government of the Student Body committee. The committee intends to gather student input about the Department of Residence and the way it disperses its funds.

GSB passed a bill last week matching IRHA’s funding, but GSB President Matt Craft vetoed the bill Monday.

“There will be a big debate on the IRHA and GSB funding after that bill was vetoed by Craft,” Foster said.

He said the IRHA members who serve on the IRHA/GSB committee are disappointed about the veto.

“From talking to members on the committee, I know the utter disgust and contempt they feel after the time and work that they have put on the committee,” Foster said. “They have dedicated a lot of time to the committee.”

Wychulis, member of the IRHA/GSB committee, said the focus of the committee now has changed after Craft’s veto.

He said committee members discussed Tuesday the idea of using focus groups to determine what questions to ask the students. He said this will affect the funding.

“If we’re not going to do a survey, we don’t feel that that is the proper bill,” said Wychulis, sophomore in history. “A new budget needs to be presented.”

Wychulis said IRHA still is discussing what it will do about the bill. He said it will probably zero-fund the committee.

The meeting will be tonight at 7 in the large conference room of the Maple-Willow-Larch Commons.