UBS bookmarks educate students on credit cards

Michaela Saunders

University Book Store is taking part in a national effort to educate college students on the dangers of credit cards.

About three weeks ago, UBS began distributing bookmarks to students that give pointers on how to stay out of credit trouble.

The “Credit Rules” bookmarks are part of a national educational campaign by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), said Sadja, marketing supervisor at UBS.

“I have friends that graduated five years ago that are still paying off debt from college,” Sadja said. “That shouldn’t happen to students.”

The FTC produced and distributed 1 million of the bookmarks for members of the National Association of College Stores, of which UBS is a member.

Some of the “Credit Rules” are: “You have to pay what you owe; keep track of what you spend; save receipts and compare them with your bill; never lend out your card; owing more than you can pay can damage your credit rating; pay your bill on time and in full when possible.”

Many ISU students have credit cards. Some students admit to having credit problems; others think they can handle the responsibility.

Jana Halterman, senior in English and secondary education, opted for a debit card rather than a credit card. She said worrying about credit card bills and interest is something she just doesn’t have the time for, and with her debit card, she doesn’t have to.

“I’m not about to fall prey to bad credit and debt,” said Aaron Beckman, freshman in anthropology and religion. “That is just stupid.”

Matt Grause, freshman in business, said he has three credit cards that have accrued almost $9,000 in debt.

“I got one about a year ago, then I got an application when I bought my books, and I found another one over the Internet,” he said.

But Grause is not worried about his future credit.

“I spend maybe $100 a month and pay off $100,” he said.

Michelle Olsen, senior in animal ecology, has two credit cards — one she uses as little as possible, and the other she never has used.

Olsen said she spends more on her credit card at the beginning of the semester than at any other time.

“I use it for my books and stuff, and then when school starts, I hardly touch it,” she said.

Olsen spends about $30 each month and pays back between $50 and $75.

“I have some debt racked up from other things — plane tickets or whatever — but I am pretty responsible,” she said.