IRHA postpones Veishea vote pending visit from Jischke

Amie Van Overmeer

Although three of the necessary five student organizations have taken the Veishea pledge, the Inter-Residence Hall Association stuck to its own pledge not to consider any Veishea legislation until Iowa State President Martin Jischke speaks to the parliament.

Jischke will speak at a special IRHA meeting on Nov. 2. IRHA Vice President Joe Foster said IRHA would probably debate the Veishea pledge at the regular meeting time on Nov. 4.

IRHA members unanimously voted Thursday night in favor of waiting until Jischke speaks to them before voting on the pledge, although several guests asked parliament to rescind the motion.

Justin Wilhelm and Justin Chesnut, Veishea co-chairs, asked IRHA to consider taking immediate action on the pledge so that decisions about Veishea’s entertainment could be made faster.

However, many members said it was important to talk to Jischke before looking at any Veishea legislation.

“Until you hear it from the administration, there could be a jumbled message,” said IRHA Finance Director Kyle Jacobsen.

Foster said the motion prevents legislation from being made until after Jischke is present, but it does not limit discussion of Veishea. He said having the Veishea co-chairs present helped IRHA members hear different sides of Veishea issues.

“We want to make sure our decisions are fair and that the residents are informed,” he said.

All five major student organizations — IRHA, Government of the Student Body, Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council and Graduate Student Senate — must take the pledge in order for Veishea to continue.

GSB, IFC and the Panhellenic Council already have passed resolutions supporting the pledge.

GSB Senator Jason Shenton, USAC, spoke to IRHA about the revised Veishea pledge passed in GSB Senate last Wednesday. Shenton explained the changes made to the Interim Alcohol Rules for Veishea and said the revisions were made to prevent the rules from violating students’ constitutional rights.

“We took a vague sentence, and now it is explicit in its meeting,” he said.

Several IRHA members said the pledge might need to be even more specific in what students can and cannot do during Veishea.

• In other news:

IRHA members and Associate Director of Residence Virginia Arthur also discussed a proposed IRHA bill about a Department of Residence policy that requires students to leave the dorms 24 hours after their last spring final.

The proposed IRHA bill calls for removal of the policy. The bill also calls for better communication between residence administration and students concerning changes in the room and board contract.

Arthur said residence hall officials still are deciding how to enforce the new policy.

“We’re having a lively debate at this point as to where it will go,” she said.

She asked IRHA to give her suggestions on how to enforce this policy, and she said department officials would make a decision on policy’s enforcement by the end of fall semester.

IRHA moved to delay voting on the proposed bill until it could further discuss the policy and come up with appropriate suggestions for the administration.