Student to seek City Council seat

Alison Storm

An Iowa State student activist is running for a seat on the Ames City Council after a long period of deliberation and soul-searching.

Starlene Rankin, an Ames resident since 1985, had been considering delving into local politics for a quite a while, but she finally feels the time is right.

“I felt like there were some things I would like to contribute,” said Rankin, graduate student in journalism and mass communication. “I think we have a really good town, and I also feel there are things that aren’t getting addressed.”

Rankin said she wants to increase funding for the arts and possibly create a city arts coordinator position. She also would like to create a downtown farmer’s market and enhance city bike paths.

Judie Hoffman, Rankin’s opponent, will be seeking her fourth term on the Ames City Council.

“I’m ready to run again and looking forward to the election,” Hoffman said. “I think some of the issues dealing with land use that I am particularly interested in are not wrapped up yet, and I want to continue working on that.”

Hoffman will work on developing parks, a bike path and CyRide.

ISU students will be targeted by both candidates as the Nov. 2 election approaches.

“I think the city has been able to do many projects because we have worked cooperatively with the university and the students,” Hoffman said. “That cooperation makes Ames a better place to live.”

Rankin said she wants to hear more feedback from fellow ISU students.

“I’d like to treat [the students] equally, and I think this whole thing of communication is so important,” she said.

During the last local election, only 16 percent of the registered voters participated, a number that Rankin said needs improvement.

“The push will be to empower people to get out and vote,” she said.

Rankin tackles the issue of voting on “Green TV,” her public access television show that airs Friday nights at 9 p.m.

“Whether I win or not, it’s going to be a valuable experience,” she said.