Professors get into the game — ISU-Iowa football game, that is

Jocelyn Marcus

Students weren’t the only Cyclone fans excited about Iowa State’s victory over the University of Iowa on Saturday night.

Professors also were rooting on the football team — both in the stands and at home.

Ronald Peters, professor of psychology, attended the game.

“I thoroughly enjoyed watching it,” he said. “We are longtime Cyclone fans.”

Enthusiasm ran high at the game, he said.

“What I think happened is that the fans were much more into this ball game, and we stood up and cheered, which hasn’t always been the case in the past,” he said.

Richard Carlson, professor of agronomy, watched the Cyclones win on television.

“I cheered very hard for my home [team], and it apparently did some good,” he joked.

Associate professor of psychology Norman Scott is a season ticket holder. After attending the game, he still wanted to hear more.

“We came home after the game and watched the KCCI [TV-8] report on the game, which was very positive,” he said.

Carol Sittler David, associate professor of English, has been following the ISU-Iowa rivalry for some time.

“I have been teaching for 40 years, so I’m well aware of the culture, and I’m interested in the results,” she said.

Part of the fun for David is watching her former students play.

“I teach first-year composition, and I’ve had some of the players in class, and I like to look to see how they do,” she said.

Though he retired this year, Richard Engen, former professor of physiology, still has school spirit.

Having watched the rivalry for the past 35 years, he was glad to cheer on the Cyclones on Saturday.

“I was being pretty vocal for an old man,” he said.