Students react to GSB, IRHA investigation committee

Amie Van Overmeer

Many Iowa State students seem to be behind a joint committee formed by the Government of the Student Body and the Inter-Residence Hall Association to investigate the Department of Residence.

IRHA and GSB both passed resolutions last week to form the joint committee, developed because of student concerns about budget reallocations.

Tracy Regan, resident of Brandt House in Linden Hall, said she supports the committee.

“That’s where our money is going, and if there is a misappropriation of money, we should know about it,” said Regan, sophomore in mechanical engineering.

Some students said that no matter what the committee finds, its results will benefit both students and university administrators.

“Hopefully, they’ll find where money is being misallocated,” said Scott Bradham, resident of Elwood House in Helser Hall. “Maybe they’ll find that it’s being used properly and we’re complaining about nothing.”

Bradham, sophomore in horticulture, said the Department of Residence does not communicate with students to assess what they want. He said it is difficult for the department to spend money appropriately without the students’ input.

“You have to get on residence hall floors and ask them,” he said. “If students knew what the money was going for or what the surveys are for, they would be more likely to fill them out.”

Amy Love, resident of Hoxie House in Linden Hall, said the investigation might show where money needs to be spent.

“The places they’re taking money from might need it more than what they’re spending it on,” said Love, freshman in pre-vet.

Although many students seem to support the committee, university officials are concerned about the impression a joint committee might have on students.

At IRHA’s Thursday meeting, Virginia Arthur, associate director of residence life, said it might seem as if IRHA went to GSB as a last resort because IRHA could not work with the department.

John Bethke, resident of Louden House in Helser Hall, said more will be accomplished with the two groups working together.

“It’s good for them to cooperate,” said Bethke, sophomore in psychology. “It gets things done quicker.”

Ellen Buchwald, senior in microbiology, said the investigation especially will benefit students living in the renovated residence halls.

“For those who need housing, it will be beneficial,” she said. “They need to see if it’s a good estimate for materials and equipment for housing like Hawthorn Court and Maple.”