Honors Program leaves Osborn Cottage

Jerod Bruner

Planning is underway for moving Iowa State’s Honors Program from its existing home in Osborn Cottage into a new, $2 million building.

Dean Morton, a university architect, said the driving force behind the new structure is that there is not enough room for the Honors Program at its present location.

Morton could not verify whether Osborn Cottage will be torn down.

Howard Shapiro, vice provost for Undergraduate Programs, said the number of incoming freshmen honor students has increased.

Over 400 honor students entered ISU last fall, compared to 287 just two years ago.

Shapiro said the new building will attract talented students to ISU.

“I’m excited to have this opportunity and that the university has set this as much of a priority as it has,” he said.

Shapiro said the university will be working from a $2 million budget, half of which will be obtained from donations through the ISU Foundation.

“We’re doing everything we can to enhance the honors program,” Shapiro said.

According to the Honors Program’s Web site, Osborn Cottage was originally a faculty member’s residence.

It later served as the home of the vice president for Business and Finance.

The cottage features two study rooms, two meeting rooms, a kitchen and a 24-hour computer lab.

Morton said the design of the structure does not contain much historical value.

Warren Madden, vice president for Business and Finance, said the new honors building will be about twice the size of Osborn Cottage, but “no decision has been made on the final site.”

Shapiro said five locations have been viewed and ranked by the committee.

Shapiro said the final decision on the site location will be made by ISU President Martin Jischke, who has the final say on the site of any new building on campus.

Shapiro said the committee is involving current honor students in the planning of the new facility.

“Virtually all the honor students will have an involvement in the new design of the building,” he said.

Shapiro said although the planning is in its initial stages, most students want to retain the coziness and home-like qualities of Osborn Cottage.

“Two million dollars will let us have some real neat features in [the new building] and retain that feel,” Shapiro said.

Madden said the new honors program building will be operational in about two years.