Bombing of Chinese Embassy hits home (Part II)

Jerod Bruner

After a May 10 decision by Iowa State’s Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine to postpone their summer 1999 study abroad programs in China, Chinese hosts contacted university officials Monday to extend a welcome to ISU students.

The welcome has prompted officials to reschedule one of the two summer programs in China.

The College of Agriculture’s study abroad program has been rescheduled to depart for China on May 24. The veterinary medicine program remains canceled.

The decision to originally postpone the programs was made by administrators in the Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine in collaboration with the Study Abroad Center, the faculty members coordinating the programs and faculty members from the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature.

The postponement decision came in response to a travel warning issued on May 9 by the U.S. Department of State following the May 7 bombing of the People’s Republic of China embassy in Belgrade by NATO-coalition forces.

“Our primary concern was the safety of the students,” said Michelle Szabo, program coordinator for the Study Abroad Center.

Before the College of Agriculture’s program was rescheduled, David Acker, director of International Programs for the College of Agriculture, said the decision to postpone was discussed with students involved and their parents.

He said the students were disappointed but understood the reasons behind the decision.

According to a university press release, the College of Agriculture’s program, which originally was scheduled to leave May 12, included 22 students, two faculty members and two alumni.

Steve Sullivan, communications manager for ISU News Service, said about half the students who planned to leave at the original date will depart at the rescheduled May 24 date.

“We are eager to get our students over there to improve relationships and help communication,” Acker said. “Our students can be wonderful ambassadors.”

However, the College of Veterinary Medicine’s study of veterinary acupuncture in China, which originally was scheduled to depart May 14, will not be rescheduled for the summer. The college hopes to continue the program this fall.

The canceled vet med program included 25 students and three faculty members.

Szabo said the university is making every effort to help the students who are not traveling to China make alternative summer plans.

Szabo said some of the students are enrolling in summer classes, and others are looking at different study abroad options for the summer.