ISU student dies after being struck by van

David Roepke

Iowa State student Sherri Jacobs, sophomore in dietetics, died Thursday in West Des Moines after she was hit by a van while riding her bicycle.

Jacobs, 23, of West Des Moines, and her fianc‚ Jon Sieck of Clive, were riding their bicycles south on 74th Street when a Ford van driven by Michael Origer, 41, of West Des Moines, came over a hill heading south on 74th Street.

The van overtook the cyclists and hit Jacobs, then proceeded farther south before pulling over, said Lt. Scott Wiegert, public information officer for the West Des Moines Police Department.

Jacobs was transported to Iowa Methodist Medical Center, where she died from multiple traumas, said the hospital’s public relations director.

Origer was questioned and subsequently arrested for operating while intoxicated, Wiegert said. Vehicular manslaughter charges against Origer are pending as police continue their investigation.

Sieck, who had been engaged to Jacobs since spring break, said Jacobs was the most giving person he knew.

“I’d say that if anyone can think in their mind of the most giving person in their life, Sherri was at least that giving, if not more,” he said.

Sieck said Jacobs was a tremendously hard worker and a good student.

“She loved to learn; she was physically fit; she was just an all-around hard worker,” he said. “She went to school full-time, had three jobs and still got up every morning at 5 to work out.”

Linda Fullmer of Johnston, sophomore in food science, who commuted to Ames with Jacobs daily, also emphasized Jacobs’ many interests.

“She just enjoyed everything so much,” she said. “Sherri had so many different aspects. She was athletic, she was academic and she was a lot of fun to be around. Sherri always brightened the room she was in and made people laugh.”

Kevin Acres, manager of Bike World in West Des Moines, where Jacobs held one of her three jobs, said Jacobs’ death affected many people.

“This is so tragic for everyone that is involved,” Acres said. “Sherri’s family, Jon Sieck’s family and even the family of the driver who hit her.”

Acres praised Jacobs’ character, especially the way she took care of her legally blind mother, Sandy Jacobs.

Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students, said ISU administrators also were saddened by Jacobs’ death.

“We’re just devastated that she was killed in that accident, and we have certainly been in touch with her instructors and her advisers,” he said.

Dougharty said Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs, would be giving official condolences to Jacobs’ family.

“We are doing are best to pass along our best wishes during what has to be a difficult time for her family,” Dougharty said. “It’s unfortunate, but in a community this large, we’re going to have student death. It’s one of our unfortunate duties to have.”

Services for Jacob will be at 2 p.m. today at West Des Moines United Methodist Church. Burial will be at Glendale Cemetery in Des Moines.