Presidential candidate Kasich rolls through Ames

Carrie Tett

Potential candidates for the 2000 presidential election are beginning to campaign, and Iowa is often their first stop due to the state’s caucuses held early in the election process.

Republican hopeful John Kasich visited Ames Saturday on his “Rolling Through Iowa” tour to spend time with “everyday” people at Twentieth Century Bowling, 505 S. Duff Ave.

“I’m not going anywhere but Iowa and New Hampshire,” he said.

Kasich currently holds a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives for the 12th District in Ohio. He lives with his wife, Karen, and their dog in Westerville, Ohio.

Matt Loney, junior in political science, is a volunteer for the Kasich campaign and organized the statewide tour, which stopped at bowling alleys in eight different towns.

“Our theme is getting around and meeting the everyday person in Iowa,” Loney said.

The campaign’s message is about running America from the bottom up, said D. Todd Harris, Kasich’s press secretary.

“Throughout this campaign we’re going to be talking to everyday working Americans, and there’s no better place to meet them in March in Iowa than a bowling alley,” Harris said.

Kasich attracted a crowd of about 50 people, many of whom bowled with the candidate. He spoke with a lot of people, especially children and students, during his game.

“He excites young people,” Loney said. “This is a guy whose favorite band is Pearl Jam.”

He said Kasich, 46, really connects with college students and plans on targeting Iowa State.

“College students are great people because they still believe they can change the world,” Loney said. “He never lost the whole desire that he can change the world for the better.”

About 40 of the campaign supporters present at the bowling alley were college students.

“I think John Kasich would be a good candidate,” said Jason Darrah, junior in political science. “He stands for a lot of values and ideas Iowa needs to return to.”

Many students also liked Kasich’s bowling campaign strategy.

“It gets people out of their element,” said Ben Fowles, who will be a transfer student at ISU in the fall. “It’s definitely unique — I like it.”

Kasich attracted Ames residents as well.

“I have been energized by John Kasich’s message of empowering the people,” said Bud Legg, athletics director at Ames High School. “You have to go back to John Kennedy before you get the same feeling about a candidate.”

Many of Kasich’s supporters, and Kasich himself, recognize the difficulty of securing the Republican nomination.

“I’m not a big shot; I’m kind of the anti-establishment guy,” Kasich said.

Loney said the campaign will be a “big challenge,” but he’s looking forward to it.

“It’s easy to excite people about your candidate when he’s an exciting individual,” he said.

Legg said Kasich is unlike a lot of the Republican candidates.

“I think he has an uphill battle, but it’s a battle worth pursuing,” he said.

Before Kasich left Ames, he gathered the students present to address them about his beliefs and ask for their support.

“What you have to think about is, ‘Do you have the confidence in yourself to change the world?'” Kasich said.

He said young people can work to change the world by joining his movement.

“I need young people to help me to beat these old fogies who want to stop me,” he said. “I want you to be the high octane to get somebody in the White House. If you want to get involved, there’s room for you.”