GSB debates lighting concerns on campus

Archana Chandrupatla

At its weekly meeting Wednesday, the Government of the Student Body addressed the administration’s responsibilities regarding lighting and safety issues on campus.

Although a bill seeking funding from GSB for lighting improvements was voted down by the senate, a resolution regarding the issue was passed.

Garrett Toay, IFC, who voted against the funding bill, said he did not intend to discount the importance of the lighting problem, but expressed his frustration with the administration’s disregard for responsibility.

“In my opinion, it is not the responsibility of the GSB to be funding this — it’s the university administration’s responsibility,” he said. “Money should not be coming from student fees to pay for this.”

GSB Finance Director Jeremy Williams said the finance committee also voted against the bill.

“We thought there were a couple of things we needed to look at first,” he said. “First, we thought that funding this out of student fee money seriously needed to be looked at, and we also thought a resolution should be sent through the senate first.”

Ben Golding, engineering, said he was in favor of the bill and allocating GSB funds for campus lighting.

“I think it’s a positive scientific effort, and we should support it,” he said. “It’s something that will help safety, help students, and it will also help show students that GSB is involved in campus life.”

Christine Little, disabilities, said she was in favor of the bill because her constituency supported it.

“Members of my constituency all agreed that it was a good bill to put out,” she said. “I also thought it was appropriate for the GSB senate to be funding that.”

A resolution encouraging the administration to live up to its funding responsibilities regarding lighting passed after being amended to incorporate points from both sides of the issue.

“I want to clarify that we thought that strong words were needed to show the administration that we are serious about campus lighting,” Toay said.

Little said she did not approve of the resolution because it was unnecessary.

“The university is already aware that lighting is a liability,” she said.

Little also said she felt the university was doing its part in living up to its responsibilities.

“The university is giving money to lighting every year through its end of the year funds. The university has also already shown that it is committed to lighting,” she said. “The only thing is, maybe they could do it a little faster.”