GSB to see end-of-the-year rush

Archana Chandrupatla

The spring semester is nearly over, and the Government of the Student Body has more than 15 bills scheduled for Wednesday night’s meeting at 7 in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

GSB President Bryan Burkhardt said the hefty agenda may be due to some senators realizing their terms are almost over.

“April 14 is the last regularly scheduled official meeting of this senate, so senators are compelled into action by that date,” he said.

Marcia Johnson, off campus, agreed that the end-of-the-year push is partially because of the need to resolve current issues before new senators get sworn in.

“It’s the idea of helping the new senate come in with a cleaner slate,” she said. “You try to clean it up before the new senate gets here, so they don’t have to deal with the same problems.”

Johnson, who has been involved with GSB for three years, said a substantial agenda toward the end of the year is typical.

“That’s always the case at the end of the year: Everyone tries to get everything done,” she said. “We realize that there are things that we put off that need to be resolved.”

Alex Olson, off campus, stressed the timely nature of the agenda.

“We need to get some of this stuff done in this point of time before the new senate steps in and takes over,” he said. “It’s a lot of year-end stuff for us that just comes up.”

Olson said he feels bills and resolutions concerning Thursday night’s riot will be a hot topic.

“There’s been many proposals on the … riots that have been floating around, which we are looking into different ways of dealing with that,” he said.

Burkhardt said although some of the issues need to be resolved soon, he hopes the senate will not rush into anything.

“I have to stress that just because there is a large number of bills, that doesn’t mean that the senate should be obligated to pass them very quickly,” he said. “Each one needs to be weighed carefully and in the best interests of the students.”

Olson said senators will do whatever it takes to get their work completed.

“I don’t see it as a real big deal. I feel it’s just part of our responsibilities as senators,” he said. “So even if we go until 1 or 2 in the morning, as we have in the past, oh well, that’s our job.”