Alexander campaigns in Ames

Carrie Tett

Another candidate for the Republican presidential nomination will be stopping in Ames today to do some early campaigning before the Iowa Republican Caucus to be held Feb. 7, 2000.

Lamar Alexander, former governor of Tennessee, will be speaking at noon in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union about his “Vision for Rural America.”

Alexander’s speech is part of his national series of policy addresses, said David Kochel, Alexander’s Iowa campaign manager. He said this address deals with agriculture and rural communities.

“There are a lot of reasons why Iowa State is a fitting place to do this policy address,” Kochel said.

He said Alexander felt ISU’s agricultural background and national research center made it the best place for the speech, as well as his personal ties to land-grant universities.

“Lamar Alexander used to be president of a land-grant university in Tennessee much like Iowa State,” Kochel said.

He said the address will cover three aspects of rural America.

First, Alexander will discuss how to strengthen rural communities and America’s agricultural base.

“He will focus particularly on trade — how to increase trade and therefore markets for exports for Iowa products,” Kochel said.

The second part of the speech will deal with value-added agriculture, Kochel said.

“How we can do more processing here in Iowa of our products and expand the economy in small communities,” he said.

Thirdly, he said Alexander will discuss how to promote ethanol for its economic and environmental benefit.

“It’s not a political rally; it’s a policy speech,” Kochel said.

Alexander began a nationwide tour Tuesday in Nashville, Tenn., and Kochel said his Ames stop is “part of a seven-state swing where Gov. Alexander is announcing his candidacy.”

“The primary focus is how to strengthen schools and families,” he said.

Last week, Alexander named former Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad as the national chairman for his campaign, and Branstad is traveling around the country with Alexander throughout the week, Kochel said.

He said Alexander will be at Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids today for a 9 a.m. rally on campus before he travels to Ames.

Tom Rice, associate professor of political science, said he is not surprised Alexander is visiting Ames.

“It’s inevitable they’re going to come,” he said. “This is Iowa.”

He said the early campaigning is a wonderful opportunity for Iowa.

“It is a good idea to have the presidential nomination set up the way it is where states like Iowa get so much attention,” Rice said.

It is great for Iowans because “anybody in Iowa who wants to can literally meet most of the major candidates if they take the time and energy to do it,” he said.

Rice said he encourages students to see every candidate who comes to ISU.

“It’s valuable for people to go out and see the presidential candidates firsthand,” he said.

He said Alexander did fairly well four years ago in the early caucuses and primaries and now is one of the two or three more viable Republican candidates.

“He’s a very serious Republican contender,” Rice said. “This is someone who could very well win the nomination.”

Because Alexander’s speech will focus on agricultural issues, Rice said it should be of interest to a lot of ISU students and Iowans.

“It’s a great opportunity,” he said.

Jason Darrah, vice chairman for the College Republicans, also said Iowa is an important state in presidential politics and was not surprised to hear of Alexander’s visit.

“He is one of the top four Republican presidential candidates, so what he has to say will probably be very important when it comes to the actual caucuses in Iowa,” Darrah said.

He said ISU is a strong draw in Iowa for presidential candidates.

“It’s a key way for presidential candidates to get support among students in the way of volunteers, internships, and sometimes students are more active politically,” Darrah said. “It’s a great way to feel out support and to get support among college students.”