City council rests Hilton proposal in public’s hands

Carrie Tett

The Ames City Council passed an ordinance Tuesday night that will put a 2 percent hotel-motel tax increase to a public vote April 27.

The tax increase from 5 to 7 percent would go toward funding renovations to Hilton Coliseum, including remodeling to meet handicap accessibility codes and adding 1,465 seats. The measure will come to vote 32 days after its approval, the soonest possible date in accordance with Ames city code.

Warren Madden, vice president for Business and Finance, said he and other university officials worked hard to prepare an agreement for the council to approve along with the ordinance. Due to the Memorial Union’s special tax-exempt status, officials had to form an agreement allowing the organization to set aside money for the renovations.

Jim Huss, chairman of the Memorial Union Board of Directors, said the Union will set aside the equivalent of what boarders would pay if a lodging surcharge were imposed.

“I think we feel pretty good about where this is right now,” Madden said.

Kathy Svec, marketing coordinator for the Union, said although the agreement was ready before the city council meeting Tuesday night, it was not yet signed by the proper authorities.

“Apparently, the city council was satisfied and understood what the agreement was going to consist of,” Svec said. “It did not delay voting.”

Madden said officials wanted to have the ordinance passed Tuesday, so it would come up for public vote before most students leave town at the end of this semester.

“It’s the intent of the university and the citizens of Ames that the students would vote, and they’ve worked very hard on the timing to make that possible,” Huss said.

Madden said Murray Blackwelder, vice president for External Affairs, will be working to get all Ames voters to the ballot box in April.

“We’re certainly encouraging the Ames voters to vote for this, and students are certainly part of the community,” Madden said. “We’re developing a program to educate the community and try and encourage people to vote.”

However, some officials have expressed doubt as to whether having the students on hand to vote will increase the chances of the ordinance being passed.

“‘Will the students vote?’ is the No. 1 question,” Huss said.

Madden said he has had conversations with students who are interested in the Hilton expansion issue.

“Students are certainly a component of the audience base,” he said.

In order to attract a variety of concerts to the community, Madden said he feels Hilton needs to be competitive with other venues seating 16,000 or more.

“Fundamentally, we went ahead with the university ballot issue, and the next step is getting the students and the community out and voting,” he said.