Committee looks at fall semester break

Kristin Guiter

Although the Iowa State Calendar Committee has a fall schedule established for 1999 through 2003, some members of the ISU community say an extra fall break would be advantageous.

Howard Levine, professor of mathematics, said a break would be beneficial to both students and faculty.

“My daughter is a student at Cornell University, where they have a couple-days break around Homecoming time. [Changing the schedule] is not a bad idea,” he said.

In contrast, Jerry Kunesh, professor of veterinary diagnostic and production animal medicine, said he doesn’t necessarily think an extra break would help students academically.

“I don’t think it would make a difference at all,” he said.

However, some students feel they could use the extra time.

Heidie Grove, junior in communications and textiles, said there should “definitely be a break between the start of the semester and Thanksgiving.”

“A lot of colleges have fall breaks, and it would be beneficial in preventing us from getting burnt out,” she said.

If an extra break period is incorporated into the schedule, the days will somehow have to be accounted for.

According to the Calendar Committee Web page, the calendar principles require no fewer than 73 days per semester.

ISU President Martin Jischke said the semester would have to begin earlier if there was a break before Thanksgiving.

Some students said they’d prefer to go without a break in order to ensure a later starting date.

“I wouldn’t want to go earlier; I am satisfied with our schedule,” said Shu Tosaka, freshman in hotel and restaurant management.

Other students feel a one- or two-day break would serve the same purpose.

“A three-day weekend would be beneficial. A day to catch up would be great, but a whole week is not necessary,” said Becca Sinclair, freshman in interior design.

Either way, the break would have to be planned well in advance, Jischke said.

“It would have to be reviewed by the faculty and Faculty Senate. Then, upon recommendation of the president, it would advance to the State Board of Regents,” he said.

Regent Roger Lande said the calendar is the responsibility of the administration.

“The board would be willing to grant [an extra break] if the university desired it,” he said.

If ISU students want the administration to consider a schedule change, the first step would be to approach the Government of the Student Body, Jischke said.

“By taking a proposal to GSB, the students would be gaining the expression of all students,” he said.