Dairy farm teaches students responsibility

Alison Storm

Corinne Barber, senior in dairy science, is off to work before the sun rises.

At 3 a.m., Barber arrives at the Iowa State Dairy Farm on Mortensen Avenue, where she has been employed since her freshman year.

“I grew up on a dairy farm,” Barber said. “I like being around the animals, and I figured this would be a good way to stay with it.”

Barber’s favorite chore is milking the 160 head of cattle.

The cows are milked twice daily, at 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. The entire process takes about five hours, she said.

All of the cows are grouped in one large area and are taken to the milking stalls eight at a time. Each cow takes about 10 minutes to milk.

The milk is stored in a cooling tank and eventually sold to Swiss Valley Farms.

Barber, who hopes to work for an agriculture-related company, admits another reason for the job is to pay her bills.

Jay Beck, ISU dairy herd manager, said so many students have been interested in working at the farm that he has had to turn away several applicants.

Currently, the farm employs 25 to 30 students part-time.

After proper training, students are able to milk and feed the cows and operate equipment, Beck said.

Beck said working at the dairy farm teaches students responsibility and dedication.

“They can’t walk away for a weekend and expect the cows to be milked,” he said.

Beck said students also assist with birthing.

“On average, we have about 20 calves per month,” he said.

Students monitor contractions and progress of the mother. Once the calf is born, the workers make sure its lungs are free of fluid.

The farm is used as a lab for animal and dairy science majors.

Also, many students visit the farm as part of curriculum for courses.

Gayle Hager, sophomore in dairy science, is another student employee at the dairy farm. She has worked there since August.

Hager milks the 160 cows every other weekend. She grew up on a dairy farm and is familiar with the animals.

Hager said she was attracted to the dairy farm because of “the fact that the only thing I know how to do is milk.”

Hager said she enjoys her work.

“It gives me a lot of experience, and it is also a great reference,” she said.

The farm is now accepting applications for summer employment.