Burkhardt and White plan reelection bid

Archana Chandrupatla

Government of the Student Body President Bryan Burkhardt and Vice President Jamal White have signed a letter of intent to run for reelection.

Although the candidates for executive positions will not officially be announced until next week, three possible slates have filed letters of intent with GSB Election Commissioner Tracy Harling.

Harling said it is somewhat unusual for an incumbent president and vice president to run for consecutive terms.

“To my knowledge, I haven’t heard of this happening before,” she said.

Harling said if Burkhardt and White decide to run again, the team could have an advantage over other slates.

“They have a little more access to the press than other candidates,” she said.

However, Burkhardt said he believes already serving a term puts the pair at a disadvantage.

“Right now, we are the possible slate that everyone can draw fire towards,” he said.

He said he does not expect the upcoming elections to hinder his or White’s duties during their current terms.

“Jamal and I have been and are committed to our elected position of serving the students and not to organizing or running a campaign,” Burkhardt said.

Current GSB engineering senator and possible vice presidential candidate Chris Robert, who signed a letter of intent to run with Benjamin Studenski, said he would have no problem if Burkhardt and White decide to run again.

He said he believes Burkhardt and White could benefit from their familiarity on campus.

“Name recognition is going to be big,” Robert said. “It’s going to be challenging to get our name out so that the students can get to know us on the same level they know them.”

Alex Olson, off campus, said he believes Burkhardt and White may face obstacles in their bid for re-election.

“I believe they will do a good job of serving the students [the remainder of this term], but that will take time during which other candidates might be able to build a better campaign,” Olson said. “However, I believe it’s a level playing field.”

Steve Erickson, off campus, said he thinks Burkhardt and White may have an uphill battle.

“I think they will face a lot more of a challenge because now they have a record to defend,” he said, “and that’s going to be tough.”

Erickson said things will heat up and make this election a bit different than in previous years.

“I think this election is going to be a lot more about ideology than issues,” he said.

The third slate to submit a letter of intent includes Richardson Court Association President Matt Craft as the presidential candidate and InterFraternity Council Senator Garrett Toay as vice-presidential candidate.

Craft and Toay declined comment at this time.