Waters to ‘shock’ festival

Alison Storm

The “pope of trash” is coming to Ames.

John Waters is a famed photographer and author, but he is best known for his work as a cult film director. Many of his movies have shocked audiences with their graphic content.

His lecture, titled “Shock Value,” will be held tonight at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. It is free and open to the public.

Waters’ speech is part of the 33rd annual Conference for the Institute on National Affairs.

The event is planned and coordinated by Iowa State students and faculty.

Eric Yarwood, program adviser for the Student Union Board, said the committee was looking for a director with whom students would be familiar.

Yarwood said the subject matter of Waters’ films should not be taken in an offensive manner.

“I really like his stuff — his stuff is off the wall,” he said. “He just does these things to have fun.”

Pat Miller, coordinator of the Committee on Lectures, said Waters has a “very interesting and original take about censorship,” which is one of the topics he will be discussing.

Charles L. Silet, film professor at ISU, agreed that if Waters has one overriding message, “it is that censorship in society is a dangerous thing.”

Yarwood said he believes students will find Waters’ speech very witty.

“He is very easy to listen to and very funny,” he said.

Silet thinks that Waters is an interesting presence in the modern film industry, and Waters is “simply not the Hollywood type,” he said.

“He’s the kind of guy the film industry really needs,” Silet said. “He’s extending the parameters of what film really can do.”

Even though Silet is not a big fan of Waters, he said he finds the films engaging, intellectual and challenging.

“I’m not sure I have seen one I didn’t learn something from,” he said. “For me, that is an important reason to see films. Most films are totally predictable.”

Waters’ first big cult hit was “Pink Flamingoes,” which was released in 1972.

Since then, he has directed independent films such as “Cry Baby,” “Polyester,” “Hairspray” and “Serial Mom.”

His latest film, “Pecker,” stars Christina Ricci and Edward Furlong.