Pederson advocates rocking the vote

David Roepke

Iowa youth are not involved enough in politics, said Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson Wednesday afternoon when she spoke to an Iowa State senior seminar class in Agronomy Hall.

After citing statistics from the newly released Millennium Project, Pederson urged the students of associate professor of English Jose Amaya’s English 460 class to buck the trend and get involved in government.

The new report, sponsored by the National Association of the Secretary of State, showed Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 have an extremely low rate of involvement in politics.

“The report shows that the average young American lacks interest, trust and knowledge of the political system,” said Pederson, a 1973 graduate of ISU.

Pederson said the study showed there has been a steady drop in the percentage of youth voting since 18-year-olds were given the right to vote in 1972. At that time, 50 percent of registered 18 to 24-year olds voted, while only 20 percent of the same portion of the population voted in the 1998 mid-term elections.

She cited negative campaigns, cynical parents and apathy as reasons young adults vote less than older citizens.

Pederson also said the study showed a link between education and the likelihood of voting. College graduates voted at a rate of 47 percent, whereas only 25 percent of high school graduates of the same age voted.

“College experience is strongly related to civic involvement,” she said.

Pederson encouraged young citizens to get more involved with government.

“We need to hear student voices in Iowa,” she said. “I challenge you to volunteer for campaigns of candidates you support.”

Another way to promote voting among young adults is by campaigning on the Internet, Pederson said.

“I know that the Vilsack/Pederson campaign had a great Web site,” she said. “This is an excellent way to reach the youth of America.”

Prior involvement is not necessary to get civicly involved, Pederson said.

“Twenty-four hours before I was standing in front of the Democratic State Convention I had not sought office before,” she said. “But my ability is not diminished just because I haven’t worked my way up through all the stages of politics.”

Pederson also gave her take on newly elected Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura.

“I don’t have any more knowledge than you do about the man,” she said, “but what worries me about the whole thing is that it is turning into news as entertainment.

“News crews are following him around because it’s entertainment,” she said. “I’d like the man to have a fair shake at being governor without being comic relief.”