Iowa State bands will pack into Stephens

Ashley Hassebroek

Statistics indicate that the house will be packed at Stephens Auditorium this weekend — but not due to performances from visiting out-of-town acts.

Saturday afternoon, the Iowa State Music Department will present its annual Band Extravaganza, featuring the talents of ensembles such as the ISU Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Jazz Band.

“Last year we had 1,900 people,” Interim Director of bands and Associate Professor of music Marty Province said. “This year we expect that or more.”

Province attributes most of the event’s success not to his own work, but to the hard work and perseverance of former director of bands Joseph Christensen, who died earlier this year due to complications related to a liver transplant.

“All the work Mr. C. has done for the past 25 years has led up to this,” Province said.

Stepping into the shoes of a great band director is a challenge for any musician, but Province said he has adjusted well.

“It’s something I’ve been training to do,” Province said. “I’ve guest conducted the Wind Ensemble in the past.”

This Saturday he will lead both the Wind Ensemble and the Symphonic band to music he describes as “easily heard on the first hearing.”

The Wind Ensemble will play a medley of ISU songs called “ISU Fantasy” as well as a march by Leonard Bernstein.

The Symphonic Band’s play list includes a set of variations on a Korean folk song, as well as a piece titled “Fanfare for a Festive Day,” by Roger Cichy, written as a dedication to Mr. C.

“Any of that [repertoire] will appeal to a mass audience — and that’s what we’re going to get,” Province said.

Province will conduct two of the ensembles at the extravaganza, but there will also be two other groups performing.

The ISU Jazz Ensemble, led by James Bovinette, will perform a tune by Sammy Nestico, which jazz band euphonium player Christopher Anderson describes as “big band swing from the 1950’s era.”

Also, the ISU Marching Band, under the direction of student drum majors, will perform selections from past football games.

Both groups are looking forward to the extravaganza because the performing experience Stephens provides is so favorable.

“Once a semester isn’t enough to get in [Stephens],” Anderson said. “We need to get in there and play for the people.”

The marching band is anticipating its Stephens performance because it is an opportunity for the musicians to concentrate more on their playing and not on marching.

“The marching band has to play at Nebraska games where it’s snowing all day,” Province said. At the extravaganza, the band members actually get a chance to “concentrate on their playing.”

Whether they’re excited about the music or the venue, both players and conductors are eager to be a part of an afternoon that exalts the art of band music.

“[The extravaganza] is a highlight for the whole band program because it is kind of a feature for everybody,” Christine Larson, flute player for Wind Ensemble said.

The annual band extravaganza will be held at Stephens Auditorium Saturday at 3 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and can be purchased at Ticketmaster outlets.