Catt Hall committee presents report

Archana Chandrupatla

The Catt Hall Review Committee will finally present its conclusions and recommendations on the Catt Hall controversy to the Government of the Student Body at its meeting Wednesday night at 7 in the Gallery of the Memorial Union.

The 250-page report was officially printed up Tuesday and contains material such as investigative documents, position statements, letters and historical research.

Matt Ostanik, former GSB senator and GSB resource person involved with forming the committee, said the committee, composed of students, faculty and staff, has spent a lot of time and effort on the review.

“The committee is going to be presenting their final report tomorrow night, which they’ve been working on since April. They’ve also been meeting every Friday night this semester to work on it,” he said. “People have been really committed — it’s awesome that they put in the time to do this.”

Dan Pasker, chairman of the committee, described the group as “the most diverse committee I’ve ever worked with.”

However, Ostanik said as a result of that diversity, sometimes the committee found itself dealing with a great deal of controversy.

“The committee was intended to be made up of people with lots of different perspectives, so it’s definitely had its moments of difficulty,” he said. “There definitely has been controversy and conflict between the committee members.”

Pasker said at times the conflict almost came to dangerous climax.

“There was even a point at the end of the summer when we were that close to disbanding as a committee because there were a lot of internal problems. I think we came a long way, as far as that goes,” he said.

Despite the difficulty, the conflict provided for many positive points, Ostanik said.

“It’s brought together all these different people with different perspectives, and it’s sat them down at the same table and given them the chance to have an honest discussion with each other about the issues and given them the chance to form relationships with each other,” he said.

Ostanik said the committee has not provided a “yes” or “no” answer on whether to rename Catt Hall because of the difficulty of the issue.

“The question … is overwhelming, and the committee felt that it wasn’t something they could address. Even after nine months of work and thousands of papers of research, they thought it was still too overwhelming an issue for them to properly address,” he said.

“The point of the committee was not just to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ or whether or not it should be renamed,” Ostanik said. “The point is to try to facilitate closure and healing among the students.”

Ostanik said the recommendations the committee will make will be centered around the idea of healing and closure.

“The committee has a list of 14 recommendations in their report that they will talk about … to try to facilitate that healing and closure,” he said.

Ostanik said he doesn’t anticipate any conflict regarding the recommendations.

“I don’t believe any of the recommendations they make are divisive,” he said. “I could see how some students might be frustrated that there is no ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer.

“What’s important is that the committee feels, and I feel, that this is beyond the issue of right and wrong. It can’t come down to one absolute like that,” Ostanik said. “There’s too many shades of gray in there — it’s not a black and white issue.”

Different perspectives involve different interpretations, which also made it impossible to come up with conclusive answer, Ostanik said.

“I think a lot of it came down to people’s decisions about what Carrie Chapman Catt said and did and whether the building should be named after that,” he said. “The issue is how people interpret some of the things she said. There’s just fundamentally different perspectives.”

Ostanik said he felt the biggest emphasis regarding the issue should be placed on healing.

“The biggest thing I can emphasize is the healing. There’s been so much controversy about this issue, and so many negative attacks on people, that what needs to be done now is to push that on to a positive,” he said.

However, Ostanik said he doesn’t expect it to be easy.

“I know it’s not automatically going to happen. It’s going to be a continuing challenge for everybody to be involved in this,” he said.

Pasker said that it isn’t all over yet.

“We still have a lot of loose ends in the report, and there is still a lot of work that needs to be done,” he said. “We as a committee have not yet completely finished our job — we still have a lot of work to do.”