After debate, GSB approves alcohol-free Veishea 23-7-1

Archana Chandrupatla

The Government of the Student Body voted to pass a resolution reaffirming the pledge for a safe and alcohol-free Veishea Wednesday night, with 23 in favor, seven opposed and one abstaining.

The resolution, written by Mike Pogge, LAS, called for a safe and alcohol-free Veishea for all future Veishea celebrations.

Although most senators expressed a desire for a safe Veishea, several voiced dissatisfaction with how the administration, President Martin Jischke in particular, handled the issue.

Wendy Applequist, GSS, was among those angered by Jischke’s tactics.

“I think the administration has been treating students pretty much as children,” she said. “Students have done a good job in making last year’s Veishea a great success. This is a student-run celebration, and they have been managing it well.”

Applequist also communicated dissatisfaction with the administration’s treatment of various student organizations.

“I don’t think it’s fair for the administration to give us ominous threats, hold the pledge over our heads and say that if we don’t pass this, Veishea will be terminated,” she said.

Wade Demmer, engineering, expressed similar feelings.

“Basically, I think we ought to have two goals regarding Veishea: One is to have a safe Veishea, and the other is to ensure that students act responsibly during it,” Demmer said.

Anthony Bateza, RCA, said although he understands the growing anger toward the administration, it is important to keep in mind the traditional purpose of the celebration.

“Veishea is more than just drinking — it’s a history and tradition of ISU,” he said. “Let’s not confuse anger at Jischke and anger at no alcohol with supporting Veishea.”

Pogge also said he understood the students’ and senators’ frustration.

“Jischke has not been very open to the ISU students,” Pogge said.

He also expressed anger at the administration’s failure to communicate with GSB.

“They had a problem with some of the resolutions, but they never came to GSB and said they had a problem. Instead, they went to the Veishea committee,” he said.

“For example, it is my understanding that Tom Hill, vice president of student affairs, was in the [Memorial Union] talking to Veishea Central Committee about the GSB Veishea resolutions and the problems he had with them but didn’t even walk a few paces to the GSB office to talk with members of the GSB,” Pogge said.

However, despite the anger and controversy, Pogge said he felt the resolution was a good one.

“In my opinion, it was better than the other resolutions that were presented to GSB,” he said.

Pogge also said the resolution accurately expressed GSB’s. stance on the issue.

“[It] gave substance to our debates and allowed GSB as an organization to address the issue,” he said. “It also unequivocally gave our support for an alcohol-free Veishea now and into the future.”

In other news, the GSB senate:

• Passed a bill that will form a committee to review the structure of the Memorial Union and its relationship to the university. This committee will include students, administrators, faculty and staff and the director of the Union. There is also a bill pending about funding for the Union review committee, which will be discussed further at the next meeting.