Martin to visit campus

Laurie Wiedenhoff

The College of Business, along with the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, will be hosting R. Brad Martin, CEO of Saks Inc., on Wednesday as part of the Executive in Residence Program.

“We are very excited that someone of his stature and caliber is coming to Iowa State for the Executive in Residence Program,” said Barbara Clark, executive coordinator for the College of Business.

The College of Business started its Executive in Residence Program in 1995 to “link theory and research to practice,” according to a press release. The program invites two or three senior-level executives to campus each year.

The goal of the program is to enhance students’ education experiences by having executives share their insights and experience, according to the College of Business Web page.

During Martin’s visit to ISU, he will share his knowledge with students at different locations throughout the day.

He will speak on Wednesday to the Promotional Strategies class in Room 205 of Carver Hall at 9 a.m. and meet with the College of Business Curriculum Committee in Room 314 of Carver Hall at 10 a.m.

Martin will then be at the College of Family and Consumer Sciences Career Day from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in the Saks Inc. booth. Immediately afterwards, he will meet with family and consumer sciences students and faculty in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

Martin will host an open forum called “The Growth Story of Saks Inc.” from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in Room 205 of Carver Hall.

Bev Kruempel, family and consumer sciences director of Career Services, said the visit will be an interesting experience.

“It’s a unique opportunity for students to meet with the CEO of a prestigious company,” she said.

Kruempel said students from both the College of Business and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences are interested not only in Martin, but also in the organization he represents.

Clark said the College of Business also is “eager to show him what a great place Iowa State is.”