Iowa State symphony welcomes new conductor

Ashley Hassebroek

Directing a major Hollywood film and conducting a symphony orchestra may sound like completely different tasks, but according to Mark Laycock, Iowa State’s new symphony conductor and director of orchestral activities, they are quite similar.

“[Conducting] is really not that different than directing a movie,” Laycock said. “It’s an activity that involves creativity and interaction with other people.”

Before deciding to become a conductor, Laycock had planned to get a degree in film from the University of Southern California with hopes of becoming “the next Steven Spielberg.”

It wasn’t until Laycock’s junior year that he decided to pursue a degree in music in addition to his film degree. Although his principal instrument was trombone, he was more interested in conducting because of opportunities to interact with other people.

“I like to think not so much that I conduct music, but that I conduct people,” Laycock said. “Music is the vehicle that gives me an excuse to interact with other people.”

After finishing both degrees at USC, Laycock soon enrolled at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, where he completed his masters in music.

If he were not in Ames today, Laycock said he would probably be at the University of Northern Colorado, where he is currently a doctoral candidate.

“It’s a challenge holding down a full-time job and working on a dissertation,” Laycock said.

But Laycock doesn’t have regrets.

“A position like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity,” he said.

Laycock was hired last May when the symphony’s former conductor, Kirk Smith, resigned at the end of the year to take a conducting job in California.

Before Smith left, the two conductors discussed the orchestra’s concert season and Laycock’s duties as the new director.

“[Smith] was very nice and helpful,” Laycock said. “He spoke very highly of the students. It was clear that it was difficult for him to leave this position.”

Under the guidance of Smith, Laycock compiled a concert season full of pieces bound to intrigue both the musicians and the audience. In addition to the orchestra’s regular concerts, there are many special collaborations that are being planned.

The annual “Celebrate America” concert will include performances from different members of the music department, and the music and theater department collaboration “A Little Night Music” promises to be an inspiring event.

Auditions will be held in the fall to choose a concerto winner to solo with the orchestra at the February concert, and the April performance will feature the music of living composer Karel Husa.

“I always try to find the value in music of all kinds,” Laycock said. “My challenge is to communicate and express the value of music to the players. Together, we will express the value of the music to the audience.”

Although Laycock’s position is technically only a yearlong appointment, he plans to apply for the permanent position in May. Until then, Laycock said he wants to do the best job he can in the time he has.

“You just have to go in and make it the best year you can and hope things turn out for the best,” Laycock said.

He added that there are still some openings for ISU students who want to audition for the orchestra.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity for students who played in high school to continue to improve and play more challenging music in a near-professional setting,” Laycock said.

Students interested in auditioning for the orchestra should call 294-3978 for more information.