Variety is theme for Ames theatre seasons

Ashley Hassebroek

An international theatre troupe without a common language.

A cutthroat business woman stuck in a mess after pushing her luck too far.

An evangelist turned entertainer trying to win back the love of an old flame.

A little boy winning a coveted trip to a renowned chocolate factory.

These are just a few of the scenarios Ames thespians will be creating during the 1998-1999 theatre season.

From the eclectic line-up planned by the Iowa State theatre department to the family-centered performances planned by the Ames Community Theater, Ames theatergoers can count on a plot to suit their preferences.

“I think this is one of the most exciting seasons we’ve done in a long time because of the variety,” said Gregg Henry, an associate theatre professor.

Before the end of the year, Henry said the department plans to produce two musicals and two original pieces in addition to many others.

“Every [show] has their own unique challenge,” Henry said.

In terms of intensity, Henry said the alternating performances of “Macbeth” and “A Poke in the Eye” will provide the greatest challenge because both plays are so completely opposite in subject and style, and the same actors and actresses participate in both.

“The students have to consider developing two roles at the same time,” Henry said.

As far as size, the Stars Over Veishea production “Anything Goes” will be the most challenging, but Henry explained that in terms of complexity, the theater/music collaboration for Stephen Sondheim’s “A Little Night Music” gets first prize.

“Mounting a musical in Fisher is a little more difficult than mounting a musical in Stephens because designers have to plan on having a lot less space and there is less technical apparatus.”

This year, the department may have more help in the areas of lighting and design than they have in the past.

According to Henry, the theatre program’s expansion has resulted in a larger number of people who are interested in performing the duties needed for these positions.

“One of the great things about the program growing is that we have a lot more students to do fully mounted designs,” Henry said.

This year’s productions will be receiving extra help not only from students, but also from guest artists who will be coming to Ames to offer their expertise on specific projects.

Henry said the college recognizes the educational benefits of bringing in guest artists and donates money toward the cause of providing for national artists to come.

While national artists are invited to perform important roles in the making of various shows, so are budding, local talents. “Etta Spencer’s Soul,” the show on the bill for December, was written by Jason Taylor, founding member of Iowa State’s improvisational comedy troupe Grandma Mojo’s Moonshine Revival.

“Jason [Taylor] has been writing for the past few years,” Henry explained. “He entered a 10-minute script into the American College Theater Festival and was one out of six to have his piece performed in Kansas City.”

Henry added that he is hoping Taylor’s success will encourage more students to write and know that “at the end of the road, there will be a full production.”

ISU thespians will definitely have a few lines to memorize this year, but they are not the only ones.

Keith Wirtz, board member for the Ames Community Theater, said his theater has some exciting things planned as well.

Childhood favorite “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” will be performed in collaboration with the Ames Childrens Theater.

“We have shows for children often,” Wirtz said.

One of the purposes of the Community Theater is to involve a wide representation of people in their productions, and its season lineup reflects that.

“Quilters,” a show about the beauty, joy and hardships of American pioneer women, caters to a different group of people than “Once Upon A Mattress” (a twist on “The Princess and the Pea”), but both plays can provide qualities that are beneficial to anyone who wants to see a good show.

“We like to include everybody,” Wirtz said. “Part of our mission is to include all people.”

Admission to all Ames Community Theater plays is $10 and $12 for musicals, with a $1 discount for students and senior citizens.

Tickets for shows at Fisher are $7 to $9 and $4.50 for students. This year, the theatre department is offering a discounted price of $3 to students who have a “season card.” These tickets can be obtained from the theatre department.

“With the card, they can have a discount all year long,” Henry said. “It’s still cheaper than a movie to come and see our shows.”