Parking ramp increases rate

Carrie Tett

Iowa State students may have to look for an extra quarter when paying to park in the Memorial Union parking ramp this year.

Due to maintenance costs and operation fees, the Memorial Union raised its parking ramp rates 25 cents — the first increase of its kind in six years, said Roger Ferris, Union operations manager.

The rates, which were 50 cents for the first hour and 25 cents for each additional hour, are now 75 cents and 50 cents, respectively. The new rates went into effect May 18.

“Increased costs, wages, maintenance and costs to operate the ramp continue to rise just like the rest of the world’s prices,” Ferris said.

The revenue from the Union parking ramp will go to other areas of the Union that make no profit or lose money, Ferris said.

The decision to add 25 cents to the hourly parking fees was made by the Union Board of Directors. The original proposal was to raise prices 10 cents, but the board suggested raising the rates to 25 cents and putting the extra money into a new maintenance fund for the ramp.

Ferris said the ramp’s equipment is out-of-date and repairs are needed.

“The ramp was built in 1965, and the board recognizes that,” he said.

Ferris said he has big plans for the parking ramp with the money its increased rates will generate. He said he plans to add technology that will accurately count the cars in the ramp, a better communication system and increased services for permit holders, such as a guaranteed or reserved space.

The annual gross income for the ramp is about $410,000, Ferris said.

The Union parking ramp is open to the public and is frequently used by students and faculty. Business also increases when there are events such as large conferences, weddings and banquets.

“On a daily basis, 60 percent of the users are students,” Ferris said.

Passes are available for those who use the ramp daily. After a $10 price increase, the passes are now $195 for one semester, $395 for the school year and $100 for summer.

“[A pass] costs a bit over a dollar a day,” Ferris said. “That’s a pretty good deal.”