WelcomeFest draws students

David Roepke

Hundreds of vendors and students descended upon the Lied Recreation Center Wednesday night to take part in the annual WelcomeFest celebration.

WelcomeFest is a gathering of various area businesses and Iowa State organizations that set up booths to welcome back students. The booths also introduce new students to opportunities available in the Ames community.

The booths featured everything from Ames pizza places to area churches to the KCCQ radio station. Many of the displays offered free items including hot pizza and various gift certificates.

Businesses especially appreciated the opportunity to show off their products to potential customers.

Steve Huebner, manager of Domino’s Pizza, 118 Hayward Ave., was working a booth. Domino’s offered free pizza and also had employment applications on display.

“We like to give out free pizza and get our name known on campus,” Huebner said. “Also, we like to meet prospective employees and show them we do get out. We don’t just sit around and make and sell pizza. We do a lot of worthwhile functions.”

Huebner also commented that the atmosphere was almost like a carnival.

“Students love to get free stuff, so it’s just a nice atmosphere to be involved in,” Huebner said. “All sorts of people are coming through here, and everybody’s in a pretty good mood.”

John Belcher, an account executive at KCCQ, 415 Main St., said the KCCQ employees really enjoy coming to WelcomeFest.

“We have close ties to the university,” Belcher said. “We always like to welcome the new students coming in and get them acclimated to Ames. It just helps everybody explore businesses outside of Campustown.

“It’s a great event,” Belcher said. After the booths closed, the free entertainment started. At 8 p.m., comedian Eric O’Shea took the stage, and the Rec Center welcomed comic chainsaw juggler “Mad” Chad Taylor at 9 p.m.

Also featured was a raffle for free pizzas, CDs and rounds of golf at the indoor golf facility in Des Moines.

WelcomeFest was sponsored by the Student Activities Center, the Student Union Board and the Orientation Office.