Iowa State student dies in home accident Sunday

Carrie Tett

An Iowa State student died Sunday from injuries sustained when she slipped and fell in her bathtub.

Pramilla Chahal, 26, senior in management from India, hit her head on the bathtub in her home at 127D University Village on Saturday morning. The Department of Public Safety received the emergency call at 7:42 a.m.

John Tinker, DPS investigative coordinator, said two DPS cars were first to respond to the accident following the call for medical assistance, and that an ambulance from Mary Greeley Medical Center arrived at the residence shortly thereafter.

Tinker said when officers arrived at the scene, the victim seemed to be having difficulty breathing. The ambulance crew administered first aid upon arrival.

He said Chahal was transported from Mary Greeley to Iowa Methodist Medical Center in Des Moines, where she died at about 11:30 Sunday morning.

“There was no indication of any foul play or anything,” Tinker said. “It was an accident.”

John McCarroll, director of university relations, said the accident was very tragic. He said Chahal’s husband was at the couple’s home when the accident occurred, and that the victim’s family was alerted of her death.

“It is very tragic and unfortunate,” McCarroll said.

Chahal’s husband, Sartaj Singh Malik, is also a student at ISU.

Malik said his wife took six classes last semester and worked two jobs, one at the sociology/economics lab in Heady Hall and one at a store in North Grand Mall.

He said Chahal was also a member of the Indian Student Association.

“She was a very hard-working girl,” Malik said. “She cared most for me; she helped me a lot to learn.”

The funeral will be held today from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Hamilton Funeral Services, 121 Northwest 60th Ave., in Des Moines.