Academic perks make lives of student-athletes easier

David Roepke

Imagine working a full-time job for little or no pay, with the expectation to perform well in the classroom?

This is the situation many Iowa State student-athletes face. It is also why the ISU Athletic Department routinely offers extra academic help to student-athletes.

Although student-athletes will most likely have more difficulty in the classroom than the average student due to the demands of intercollegiate athletics, some ISU students think the help athletes receive is sometimes too much.

Erin Bresnan, senior in Spanish and international studies and an All-American 800-meter runner for the women’s track team, said athletes receive academic perks such as free tutoring, special study rooms and study tables, extra advisers who pay special attention to athlete’s schedules and early registration.

She said she feels that it is fair to give student-athletes these perks because of the extra rules athletes must follow.

“There is a special situation involving athletes because we have to follow so many more NCAA regulations,” Bresnan said.

She said the NCAA requires student-athletes to complete coursework in their major in a timely fashion, which creates problems for some students.

“If you want to change your major, you are screwed,” Bresnan said.

Bresnan said athletes for revenue sports get more help than athletes in non-revenue sports. For example, “required study tables” in Beyer Hall are made available for specific sports teams.

She understands that this makes sense because the revenue sports, in part, support the non-revenue sports, but Bresnan said such situations are unfair.

“I think the university should work more to see that all student-athletes get a fair chance,” she said.

One ISU student believes that, from her experiences, student-athletes in revenue sports get more help.

“I don’t feel that students should get no help because I understand they have other demands,” said Lisa Berglund, freshman in agriculture and biochemistry. “Study tables and tutoring are great.”

However, Berglund said she feels student-athletes receive too much help, beyond free tutoring and study tables. She said some extra “help” in the classroom “steps over the line.”

“I’m in Computer Science 103, and one of the teaching assistants gives the lab practicals to the football players in advance,” she said. “It seems like they’re almost cheating for the students.”

Ben Oviatt, freshman in finance, also feels that student-athletes have too many advantages.

“I had no idea they got so many perks,” he said. “That is a joke. Academic advantage should not exist, that has nothing to do with sports.

“They obviously have special skills that let them excel on the field, as some of us do in the classroom,” Oviatt added, “but I don’t see anyone making special concessions so I can play quarterback.”

Michael O’Brien, senior in political science and a former Cyclone football player, said student-athletes do not receive such advantages and are at a disadvantage in the classroom.

“Some sports such as golf and baseball can miss up to three days at a time,” he said. “The professor doesn’t have to let them make that up.”

O’Brien said there is an attempt to get a definite policy implemented as to what professors are required to do when student-athletes miss class because of competitions.

He also said that in the case of football players, it is required they go to class.

“You have got to go to class,” he said. “If you don’t, guys end up running until they don’t feel so good.”

O’Brien added that tutors are a necessity for many student-athletes because some have disabilities such as dyslexia.

“Some people need these tutors; they’re not as bright as the student body as a whole,” he said.

Concerning football players receiving tests in advance and other illegal perks, O’Brien adamantly asserted that this does not happen in the football program.

“As far as I know, there is no tests that get given out or any other foolishness like that,” he said. “I have been around for four years and I have never seen anything like that.

“We get the help we need,” O’Brien said.

Tom Kroeschell, director of sports information for the Athletic Department, was reached for this story, but he would not comment on the subject.