Jack Trice Scholarship increased by $150

Carrie Tett

The Jack Trice Scholarship, which has been awarded to an Iowa State student each year since 1984, has increased by $150 this year.

The scholarship is awarded by the Government of the Student Body from a large pool of money set aside to generate interest.

Ryan Glanzer, GSB chief of staff, said when he reviewed the account, the money was drawing more interest than the amount of the $600 scholarship.

Glanzer said a new contract was drawn with the ISU Foundation, the group that, along with the Dean of Students Office and GSB, is represented on the selection committee for the scholarship.

For approval of an increase from $600 to $750, Glanzer received signatures from representatives of the groups.

“Originally we were looking at a one-time increase of $1,000, but over time I thought it would be better to have a permanent increase of $150,” he said.

About 20 students submitted applications for the scholarship, which were due last week.

Glanzer said because only about three students applied last year, the high number of applicants this year was a surprise.

The applications questioned students about their involvement at ISU, their future plans and how they identified with Jack Trice.

This year’s selection committee consists of Mike Poray, Graduate Student Senate representative, GSB senators Brian Knau and Bryan Burkhardt, Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay and J.R. Flynn of the ISU Foundation.

Committee members have been reviewing the applications with certain criteria to narrow the possible winners.

Glanzer will receive the top applications on Friday and will determine the winner.

He said in the past, the contract’s requirement for strict criteria has not been rigidly enforced, but since the number of applicants has increased, the committee will follow the rules more closely.

Glanzer said he faces a tough decision for a winner this weekend.

“The winner should be announced at inauguration,” he said, adding that the plan is tentative. The GSB inauguration is Saturday, April 25 at the Scheman Building.

He said he hopes the scholarship will see another increase in the near future.

“Right now the interest rates are really low, but when they go up we might be able to negotiate another increase,” he said.

He said he would like to see the growth of the scholarship be consistent with the growth in tuition fees.

“Hopefully GSB can help that,” Glanzer said, adding GSB could add money to the pool to generate more interest for the scholarship fund.