Students get ‘pretty in pink’ with Mary Kay

Ashley Hassebroek

Caught between the obligation to pay tuition and the need to spend money for a good time, college students often struggle to find money to pay the bills.

It is only natural that part-time jobs can turn into a basic necessity.

Though many Iowa Staters choose part-time jobs in the area of food service, retail sales or telemarketing, a few students have given their time and talents to pursuing a Mary Kay career.

Chandra Brace, junior in elementary education and Mary Kay consultant, said she spends about five to 10 hours a week doing activities for her Mary Kay job.

Unlike most part-time jobs, which require employees to work a specific number of hours, Brace said she does business when it is convenient for her schedule.

“It’s not a hindrance on my studies because I can choose to do this whenever I want to,” Brace said. “It depends on how much homework I have.”

Most of her job involves conducting makeovers and skin care classes for current and future clients.

When Brace became a Mary Kay consultant, she was given a video tape that included information about how to be a more efficient consultant.

“[The videotape] tells us about the company and teaches us how to hold classes,” Brace said.

In addition to the instruction Brace gets from her video tape, she receives new tips and encouragement during her “unit’s” weekly meetings.

“I’m excited about building relationships with my fellow consultants,” Brace said. “The women I have met are so encouraging to me that I can’t wait until I can do it for other people.”

Another Mary Kay consultant with whom Brace has become acquainted during her weekly meetings is Anne Bollin, sophomore in veterinary medicine.

Bollin said she appreciates the encouragement of the other women in her unit and the philosophy behind the company.

“[Mary Kay cosmetics] teaches women that they can be as successful as they want,” Bollin said. “It teaches you that there is nothing holding you back except yourself.”

Bollin has worked as a consultant for three months and has aspirations to win the renowned “Mary Kay car.”

To earn the 1999 Grand Am, Bollin said she must recruit at least 12 new consultants for the company.

“This company has a lot of incentives, and if anything can get me motivated, it’s a new car,” Bollin said.

While the consultants receive quite a few benefits for their work, Brace said they have to contribute hardly any of their own money.

After the consultants agree to do the job, they receive a briefcase with instructions on how to be a good consultant and a showcase filled with makeup and skin care materials.

Although they initially have to pay $106 for the materials in the showcase, the consultants earn the money back as they begin selling. Brace has been a consultant for a little over two months, and she said it didn’t take long for her to earn back the money.

“I’ve already paid off the showcase and the briefcase,” Brace said.

Besides being an inexpensive investment, she said, the skills they have garnered from being a consultant will be useful in their future professional jobs.

Brace said the knowledge she has gained about hygiene will be useful when she has to teach her students about hygiene.

“Mary Kay is big on skin care,” Brace said. “I will be able to share that with my students.”