GSB to vote on funds for alcohol-awareness project

Carrie Tett

Alcohol awareness has been a popular topic with the upcoming alcohol-free Veishea celebration.

The Government of the Student Body is trying to team up with Dave Haden, student activities specialist, to educate students in a new and unusual way.

The bill being proposed tonight, titled “Funding for Alcohol Poisoning Information,” asks GSB for $300 to help fund the production of plastic protectors for ATM cards or ISUCards.

The protectors would display symptom information, instructions and emergency numbers for alcohol poisoning.

On one side of the card protector there is information about what skin colorings and pulse rates students should check to determine if someone needs emergency medical help.

The opposite side lists emergency phone numbers.

“They are to promote safety and education among the student body,” said Bryan Burkhardt, engineering and an author of the bill.

He said the card protectors are a good idea and agreed to present the bill to the senate.

Haden said the card protectors are an asset to all students, even those who do not drink.

“We all interact with students who have drank or have drank too much,” he said. “To have that information in your wallet or purse can be very valuable.”

Haden said he plans to provide each student in the greek system, the residence halls and as many off-campus students as possible with the card protectors.

Haden got the idea for the protectors from a past successful experience.

“We have done a card protector before and it seemed to be something very popular,” he said. “We want to improve it.”

He said he feels every student should carry one and estimates 15,000 card protectors will allow him to reach most students.

GSB is not the only group Haden has approached for support of this project.

Commitments for assistance have also come from the University Bookstore, the Student Union Board, a grant from the Fund for the Improvement of Post Secondary Education, Inter-Residence Hall Association and the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils.

Haden said the final design for the card protector will also list the organizations that have contributed to the project.

“This is a great way to let the students you represent know that you care about their safety,” he said.

Haden said he is optimistic that GSB will support the project as well.

“Other groups we’ve approached about it have been extremely supportive,” he said. “The question is, do they feel it’s something they want to expend funds for?”

Haden said he hasn’t run across anyone who has said the proposal is a bad idea.

The card protectors would be printed over the summer and distributed during the fall semester, he said.

Organizers hope to hand out card protectors in the commuter lots and at WelcomeFest.

The bill will go through its first reading tonight and will be voted on at GSB’s meeting on Wednesday, April 22.