Strong student turnout for arena vote

Carrie Tett

The bond issue vote for a new ice arena in Ames, held Tuesday, had a higher than usual voter turnout and passed with 83 percent of the votes.

“We’re very happy, even shocked, to get 83 percent of the votes. It’s a little overwhelming,” said Bill Ward, assistant coach of the Iowa State men’s hockey team.

“We’re very appreciative of the students that cast their votes so it could happen,” he said.

There were 916 votes cast in student-related precincts, about 28 percent of the 3,307 voters overall.

“I’m thrilled with the number of residents that turned out to vote and their positive response,” said Nancy Carroll, director of Ames Parks and Recreation.

Carroll said ISU students played a large role in passing the issue. “In the big picture, the university community really did get out compared to other elections,” she said. “Their voice is important in these things.”

Story County Auditor and Commissioner of Elections Judy Emmons agreed that the student turnout was much higher for this election compared to past elections.

“When you go back and look at turnout for other special elections this year, it was higher, and also compared to previous years,” she said.

Mike Pogge, LAS senator for the Government of the Student Body, also said he felt positive about the student turnout, even though it was about one-third of the number of students who turned out for the GSB elections in February.

He said part of the reason for the difference in numbers is because many students didn’t want to change their hometown voter registrations.

“I’ve already filled out a voter registration card at home. I have no interest in Ames,” Pogge said. “I feel like the elections at home affect me more.”

Pogge said a student turnout of 900 in any Ames election is excellent.

“When students want to get something passed in this town, we can do it,” Pogge said. “It shows the power of the student body.”

Although Ward gave a lot of credit to ISU students for the passage of the bond issue, he was also thankful to the community for their support.

“There was a lot of support for ice in the community and a lot for our team too,” he said. “It has been increasing over the last few years, and people want to see [the hockey team] around, I guess.”

Ward said he found it surprising that the highest turnout came from the voting station of 2nd Ward, 4th Precinct, located at the Cavalry United Methodist Church, 24th Street and Hoover Avenue. This North Ames precinct consists primarily of the Park View Heights and Stonebrooke subdivisions, which are populated largely by established families and elderly residents.

“I think for Ames residents, they see a dual relationship with the city and the university,” Ward said.

He said he thought the bond issue wouldn’t have passed if it were just up to the city to supply the money, but because the university stepped up to give more than half, the residents agreed.

On the other end, the lowest voter turnout was in 3rd Ward, 2nd Precinct at the Memorial Lutheran Church, 2228 Lincoln Way.

The voters in this precinct are primarily from fraternity and sorority houses.

However, Carroll said, the numbers in this precinct may be higher as compared to past elections.

The chairwoman of Ice is Nice, a group that has been active in supporting the new ice arena, was also pleased by the results of the election.

“I am elated about how things went,” said Cathy Thomas, chairwoman of Ice is Nice.

Thomas gave a lot of the credit for the high turnout to student activities, particularly the ISU hockey team.

“The hockey team did a lot of legwork to get students to vote,” she said. Team members made presentations to many residence hall floors and other student organizations, handed out voter registration forms and explained the need for the new ice arena.

In the community, Ice is Nice spoke to many different groups to inform people of the ramshackle conditions at the current facility.

Thomas said the battle to fund the ice arena is not over.

“There is one-third leg of the journey now that has to be done — $300,000 in fund-raising,” she said.

The university gave $1.7 million for the project, and the city is now matching that $1.7 million, but there is still $300,000 to be raised.

The fund-raising will be done by the ISU Foundation.

Thomas said construction will not begin until the $300,000 is raised.

“Optimistically, I’d like to see the new facility open by the fall of 1999,” she said. “There’s a lot of work to do.”

With combined efforts from many members of the community and the university, Thomas said she hopes the money will be raised within six months.

The ISU Foundation will be speaking with builders to understand what it will take to get the ball rolling on construction and design, but it will also take input from Ames residents.

“The city and university have the decision making authority, but the users are involved in making the best use of space and money,” Thomas said.

Meetings to begin the process of designing and constructing the arena will begin next Tuesday.