GSB recommends zero funding greek groups

Carrie Tett

The Government of the Student Body may be known as an organization that gives students funding, but some groups were sent to the finance committee to decrease their funding for the 1998-99 school year.

Of all the groups that ask GSB for funding during the spring allocations, Mock Trial was sent to the finance committee with a recommended increase, and the Off Campus Council was sent with a recommended decrease.

The Interfraternity Council was recommended zero funding, as well as the Panhellenic Council. Also, both GSB and Veishea obtained a recommended decrease.

The senate chose among four options for each group that requested money from GSB.

The senate either could accept the finance committee’s recommendation or reject the recommendation and ask for an increase. It also could reject the recommendation and ask for a decrease or recommend that the group not be funded.

During discussion, senators were allowed to point out a group they felt needed alteration.

The umbrella categories included the International Student Council, Sports Club Council, Single Focus, Social/Political Action, campus publications, Committee on Lectures, Symposia and Conferences and student support organizations.

Administrative organizations, campuswide organizations and Arts and Broadcast also were listed.

The most debate fell under administrative organizations and campuswide organizations with recommendations to offer zero funding for both IFC and the Panhellenic Council, and to decrease funding for Veishea.

Reasoning for the recommendations stemmed primarily from interpretation of senate bylaws.

During argument against IFC and the Panhellenic Council, some senators noted that bylaws state GSB cannot fund residence associations.

Many senators said their residents have sufficient funds to pick up the tab for IFC.

Some senators chose to use arguments directly linked to the bylaws.

“As a residence area senator, I voted [in the finance committee] against giving funding [to IFC]. It performs similar functions as residence associations,” said Chris Wisher, TRA. “It does perform other duties, but I think all residence areas should be on an equal plane.”

Justin Hattan, LAS, said GSB gives money to residence halls through the senate discretionary fund, but that IFC approached funding in a different way through spring allocations.

Mike Pogge, LAS, said he would not support the group.

“I disagree in funding living areas for a number of reasons,” he said. “I think [all residence areas] should not be funded. Their organizations should be able to generate enough funding to run the organization.”

One suggestion for the group was to reassess its dues.

Only 12 IFC members currently pay $15 dues each semester, and students in the residence halls pay similar dues to their governing councils each semester.

Marcia Johnson, minority, also pointed out that residence hall associations want funding for events that are open to all students.

The line item in question for IFC, however, is not open to all students.

“Why can’t [IFC] come through discretionary next year?” said Douglas Miller, LAS. “If it is beneficial at that point in time, then we can fund it.”

He said it is not consistent with funding for other residence areas to come through spring allocations.

The senate agreed to send IFC to the finance committee for consideration of zero funding with a vote of 19-9. Members sent the Panhellenic Council back with a vote of 19-10.

Some senators attempted to keep funding for the Panhellenic Council, but found no success in their efforts.

Miller pointed out that IFC and the Panhellenic Council have been funded only for this conference one year prior to the spring allocations. Every other year, they had been funded through senate discretionary.

The senate also debated funding for Veishea. Although the recommendation to decrease funding initially spurred objection, the indisputable bylaws backed the argument and Veishea was sent back to the finance committee for a decrease.

The bylaws state that any group that receives funding from GSB must recognize the funding in printed materials. When groups do not honor this request, the senate is instructed to reduce funding to the group.

“It really calls a question in my mind that we give this group a decent amount of support and they don’t even thank us,” Poray said.

Terri Houston, GSB adviser, said the Veishea committee is in the process of reprinting their booklets to add a section with GSB clearly printed on it.

But, this is not the first time Veishea has broken the rule.

Pogge said Veishea had to be reminded last year to recognize GSB on all of its posters and pamphlets.

Some senators disagreed with the rule, but their arguments did not affect the outcome.

“It’s in the bylaws, but we should find it in our hearts to forgive Veishea,” said Jamal White, engineering. “It looks very petty for us to argue about putting names in a book.”

“The GSB needs all the endorsements we can get,” said Rory Flaherty, off campus. “It’s through little things like this that lets the student body know we exist.”

The decrease in GSB funding was supported by some senators.

“I believe we’ve asked a lot of groups for a decrease as well,” said Bryan Burkhardt, engineering. “This is an opportunity for us to let groups improve and achieve more for next year [by giving them more money].”