Burkhardt/White win

Carrie Tett

The students have spoken. Bryan Burkhardt and Jamal White will be next year’s Government of the Student Body president and vice president, according to results of the 1998 GSB elections.

The election’s outcome was announced in front of about 150 people in the Memorial Union Thursday night.

The election produced the highest voter turnout in at least 20 years, with 2,714 ballots scanned. Results showed that just over 11 percent of the student population had voted.

Burkhardt and White eased into their new positions with 1,591 votes, while John Hamilton and Amy Robertson came in second with 721 votes. Write-in candidates Chris Wisher and Jennifer Johnson took third with 247 votes.

“I’m very excited and relieved,” Burkhardt said. “My stomach can settle down quite a bit now.”

White said he was anxious to face new challenges as vice president. “I’m happy it’s over with,” he said. “I look forward to working next year with the senate and campus.”

The other executive candidates felt they ran a fair race but were disappointed with the outcome.

“I’m not too surprised. I didn’t want to get my hopes up too much,” Johnson said.

Hamilton was pleased with his colleague’s success. “I want to congratulate Bryan. I wish him luck on a successful year as GSB president,” he said. “It’s great that so many turned out to vote.”

Wisher said he was relieved the race had ended. “The campaign was a long, hard experience. I don’t wish it upon anyone,” he said. “You have to be dedicated to take on something of this magnitude.”

Burkhardt and White commended the efforts of their opponents.

“I’d like to thank the other candidates for running a fun and fair race. We look forward to serving and representing you,” Burkhardt said.

“It’s been an unforgettable experience. Going into this, I had no idea what to expect,” White said. “Every day you think maybe today is your day, and another day is the other guy’s.”

Rob Wiese, current GSB president, was pleased with the outcome, particularly with the voter turnout. “It’s amazing. [Election commissioner] Eric Anderson got so many voters out and did a great job,” he said.

Wiese said he had supported Burkhardt and White from the beginning, and he feels next year will be a positive experience.

“They had a good race,” he said. “We worked hard this year. Bryan is working with us to continue next year.”

Anderson said he was satisfied with the turnout of voters. “I’m so happy we got 2,700 out to vote. My goal was 3,000, and my prediction was 2,700, so I hit it almost exactly,” he said.

“We had a very fair election,” said Mike Pogge, member of the election commission.

“All the candidates were very happy with how the election was ran, and I’d like to commend Eric.”