GSB asks students to help spend their money

Carrie Tett

Iowa State students may soon have a say in how a small portion of their student fees money from tuition costs is used.

The Government of the Student Body plans to establish a student survey on the Internet that would help GSB decide which student groups should receive money from student fees.

The special student fees committee is in the process of finalizing the allocation of student fees for 1998-99.

There is an increase of $4.84 per student, per semester that needs to be divided among the groups that receive student fees and the possible bond issue for a new Ames ice arena.

Student fees are part of ISU students’ tuition costs and are delegated out by the GSB student fees committee.

“Student fees go up the same as tuition and do not show up separate on your U-bill,” said Jeremy Williams, director of financial affairs for GSB. “It will go up 3.9 percent, just like tuition.”

Seven groups that currently receive funding from student fees include the Memorial Union, Intercollegiate Athletics, Recreation Services, Recreation Facility, Student Government (GSB), Reserve for Legislative Relations, Equipment/Program Support and CyRide.

All of these groups, except for Intercollegiate Athletics, have requested more money for next year. The student fees committee will determine which groups are allocated more money and how much each will receive.

The impending question is, “Where do people want to spend their money?” said Rob Wiese, president of GSB.

In an attempt to answer that question, the committee plans to put a survey on the Iowa State Daily Web page that would allow students to give input and opinions on the matter.

“We haven’t done a survey before to find out the student priorities,” Wiese said. “Hopefully it will let us know what they want. Maybe when we make a decision they won’t complain as much.”

The committee hopes a survey will aide in their decisions, and it is counting on the student body for input as to who should receive funds.

“We want to do what is best for everyone’s needs,” Wiese said.

Some of the groups that receive money from student fees influence students more than others. For example, the money given to the Memorial Union and Recreation Services help pay student wages, while CyRide wants to use its allocation to expand its service.

“Whatever money is used from student fees goes directly back to the students,” Wiese said.

The committee will soon make the final decision on funding. “The last presentation was given Friday, and we expect to have this all done by the end of February,” he said.

In addition, the new ice facility will be added as a line item among the student fees.

“The $1.7 million, 10-year bond will pay for the ice facility. It’s a $4 per student, per semester bond, and we will implement the ice arena line over two years,” Williams said.

The new ice facility line item will go into effect only if the Ames City Council passes the bond issue. The council members and ice users plan to host a bond election sometime this semester.

Ice users hope to host the election on March 31, 1998, after spring break. But, like many GSB elections, supporters face the challenge of getting students to vote.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said bond issues are more difficult to pass because they require 60 percent approval rather than a majority.