Voters turn out for GSB elections

Carrie Tett

The first election day for various positions in the Government of the Student Body indicated a favorable voter turnout.

Elections began Monday for many GSB positions, including the executive offices and senator positions, as well as for a new GSB constitution.

“There has been a fairly good turnout [at the Memorial Union] with close to 200 voters,” said Mike Pogge, LAS and member of the election commission.

By mid-afternoon, Durham Center also had seen about 200 voters; supervisors had estimated more than 100 at Kildee Hall, and about 150 had cast votes at Ross Hall.

“There has been a good turnout here [at Ross],” said Elizabeth Sherman, freshman in interior design. “During [breaks in classes] and at lunch were busiest,” she said.

Sherman, who supervised the Ross Hall voting station with Minda Gerst, junior in biology, said a majority of voters were residents of Richardson Court Association and Towers Residence Association.

Another station at Vet Med was open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

“We are hoping to get around 300 at Vet Med,” Pogge said. “We expect a high turnout there because the Vet Med Club helped us coordinate a station out there.” He said getting 300 voters for only two hours of polling makes it a highly used site.

The highest turnout of voters hit the booths around noon, Pogge said. He added that the Union, where greek and off-campus students frequently visit, was a hot spot.

Pogge said because more stations are accessible, a higher number of students are voting than in the past.

“We’re running at a higher pace of voters this year,” Pogge said.

Many students have expressed interest in the GSB election.

“I think there’s too much student apathy in the government, so I thought I’d start with myself,” said Megan Carstens, junior in marketing.

Michael Weidemann, sophomore in animal ecology, agreed by saying if he didn’t get involved he couldn’t complain. “If I don’t voice my opinion now, I shouldn’t be able to voice it later,” he said.

In addition to GSB positions, the new GSB constitution also is up for vote. Pogge said the constitution’s outlook is positive.

“It has a good chance to pass,” he said.

In its first election, the constitution encountered opposition from the Graduate Student Senate, which discovered a discrepancy in its bylaws concerning funding, but the situation has been resolved.

“[GSS] sent out e-mails to the graduate students now encouraging them to support the constitution and to get out and vote,” Pogge said.

He said he hasn’t heard of any other student groups that oppose the constitution. “I’ve heard very positive responses,” Pogge said. “I hope it passes.”

“It doesn’t matter if only a few students vote. If it gets a majority, it passes,” he said.