Senators fight executive order for Safe Zone in GSB offices

Jennifer Spencer

An executive order given by the Government of the Student Body earlier this week seeks to make GSB offices a discrimination-free environment.

The order, signed into effect by GSB President Rob Wiese and Vice President Matt McLaren, declares the GSB office space and all meeting places of GSB as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) “Safe Zones.”

The LGBT Safe Zone project was started this fall through the Dean of Students Office in an effort to create environments free of discrimination on basis of personal sexual orientation. Safe zones are visible by a pink “Safe Zone” sticker.

Wiese said he hoped by declaring GSB offices LGBT Safe Zones that it would help promote diversity and awareness on campus.

“We have such a good opportunity to meet people here in this [university] environment,” Wiese said.

McLaren said people should be treated equally in the office.

“When people come into the office, they don’t have to be afraid that they’re going to be prejudged by the people there,” he said.

McLaren also said GSB should take a leadership position in creating Safe Zones.

“We are the Government of the Student Body, we should be all-inclusive. No one should be treated differently,” he said.

Some senators expressed concern that the LGBT Safe Zone would prohibit free debate among senators in the GSB office.

Chris Wisher, TRA, said the LGBT Safe Zone order bordered on censorship.

“If I was to take a stand against [homosexuality], as long as I’m doing that in a rational, intelligent manner, who’s to say that’s discrimination?” Wisher said.

Wisher also said he disliked singling out a safe zone specifically for LGBT students and staff instead of providing an environment for people of all backgrounds.

“The idea of singling out a particular individual, whether it be LGBT or any other organization or ethnic group, is wrong,” Wisher said.

“Of course we don’t want to be discriminatory, but who’s to judge what speech is discriminatory and what’s not?” he said.

Wiese said he hoped the executive order would create an environment where issues could be discussed.

“If you have a different view than me, that’s fine, but just don’t go in there and say homophobic remarks that aren’t directed at any sort of educational debate,” Wiese said.

The GSB offices LGBT Safe Zones are currently in effect. GSB offices are located in the East Student Office Space of the Memorial Union.

In other news:

• GSB approved a $1,000 allocation to the Interfraternity Council for upgraded computers. IFC will contribute $679 to the new system.

Stu Sorrell, president of IFC, said the computers will be used by IFC, Panhellenic Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Greek Week, IFC and Panhellenic Rush.

The money was slated to come out of the special projects fund, which is supposed to benefit the entire university, but an amendment offered during debate changed the allocation to the senate discretionary fund.

Sorrell said the computer system will benefit the university through the activities of IFC and Panhellenic Council.

“How it’s going to benefit ISU the most is through Rush. Not only do we recruit students for Rush, but we recruit students for ISU,” he said.

Sorrell said the old systems lacked memory to run the programs needed to produce memos, agendas and other everyday business.