Diversity debate heats up GSB

Jennifer Spencer

The Government of the Student Body narrowly defeated a resolution that would have supported the resolution of issues raised by Allan Nosworthy’s hunger strike at last night’s meeting.

The resolution failed by a vote of 12-16-5.

Lang Tran, president of the Vietnamese Student Association, said he was disappointed with the vote.

“I’m appalled at the way GSB is treating this issue,” Tran said.

The eight issues Nosworthy requested the university address focused on diversity issues on campus.

The issues included increased support for Minority Student Affairs, renovation of Morrill Hall into a multicultural center and renaming Carrie Chapman Catt Hall.

GSB discussed the resolution for about 10 minutes. The resolution was also discussed last week.

“There’s a showing of multicultural students here, yet [GSB] pretty much ignored the issue,” he said.

About 30 students attended the meeting.

Nosworthy said he was discouraged by the lack of discussion.

“When I’m in the room, no discussion occurred,” Nosworthy said. “I could have answered questions people had.”

Nosworthy said he was not surprised by the defeat.

“I didn’t know how the vote would go,” he said. “A lot of students thought that GSB would vote this down, and [GSB] held true.”

Matt Ostanik, design, voted to support the resolution.

“I think it’s important that the resolution wasn’t saying these are the answers,” Ostanik said.

The resolution asked GSB to support the resolution of the issues. Ostanik said the issues Nosworthy raised need to be addressed.

“With the fact that so many students have been concerned about these issues, I think they need to be dealt with,” he said.

Bryan Burkhardt, engineering, also supported the resolution. He agreed the issues are of importance.

“I don’t agree with everything in it, but the issues need to be addressed by the university as a whole,” Burkhardt said.

Matt Craft, RCA, said he voted against the resolution because of his constituents.

“We had contact with RCA assembly, and their communication gave us the feeling they weren’t supportive of it,” Craft said.

John Hamilton, business, said he also represented his constituents in his vote against the resolution.

“I base a lot of my decisions on business council, and they did not support this resolution,” Hamilton said.

Hamilton said he hoped more senators would vote to represent their constituencies.

“People vote with their hearts on emotional issues, they don’t talk to their councils,” he said.

Nosworthy said he plans to seek out other organizations for support.

“I’ve never understood why we bring anything in here [to GSB],” Nosworthy said.

“Consistently, GSB has not shown support to issues that are held by disenfranchised students,” he said.

Nosworthy said organizations such as the NAACP’s tri-state chapter, the Big 12 Committee on Black Student Government and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender organizations from across the country have shown interest in the issues.

“Groups have shown interest in supporting this,” he said. “I guess GSB isn’t one of them.”

He also said he has been contacted by magazines regarding the issues he supported through his hunger strike.

“Everyone wants to hear this story,” Nosworthy said.

Tran said he had no immediate plans regarding support of the issues. “We were hoping to do it through the system,” Tran said. “But that’s failed.”