Let’s be truthful about raising tuition

Benjamin Studenski

Are you prepared to invest a little more in your future? Tuition is going up. It always does. The students of Iowa State could see next year’s tuition bills climb 3.9 percent more than this year’s cost.

For in-state students, this means about an extra $100 per year, and for out-of-state students this means an increase of more than $300.

This is the increase recommended by the presidents of the three regent universities in Iowa to the Board of Regents at the September 10 meeting. Students immediately challenged this proposed 3.9 percent increase because the inflation rate for higher education, known as the HEPI rate, was said to be only 2.4 percent.

There are certainly questionable elements to this proposed tuition increase, both in its size and in where the additional money paid by students will be spent.

If HEPI is at 2.4 percent as we have been told, where will the improvements be made by increasing spending above that amount?

The vague goals of the tuition increase such as “improving classrooms” doesn’t inspire confidence that extra student money won’t disappear into pay and pension raises for faculty or diversity workshops in Orlando for administrators. Unless money gets earmarked, priorities can easily change. Students deserve to know in advance whether a tuition increase will simply go to maintaining the status quo by giving staff across-the-board raises. If we are instead told the money will go to benefit students directly, for example, through classroom renovation or new computers, then we also deserve to see some numbers so we can make sure the money is spent in these areas. That information has yet to flow out of the Board of Regents.

And while the university administration and regents need to be honest and straightforward on the tuition issue, the same must be expected of students.

First of all, talk of student exploitation needs to keep in mind a few things.

It should clearly be said that for most students an investment in an ISU education brings in a great return. What is more, the combined tuition paid by students is less than half of the amount paid by the taxpayers of Iowa.

The tax money that comes into ISU covers a large part of the educational expense of instruction. For in-state students, investment in ISU is better than a 401K contribution in which employers match employee contributions dollar-for-dollar.

To the wealth producers in Iowa who make this possible, I have two words. Thank you. As current students, we benefit from the transfer payments of the money taken by the government from you and spent to enrich us.

Our free concerts, manicured lawns, nice classrooms, beautiful buildings, entertaining activities, funded research projects, scholarships and so forth are appreciated.

And by “wealth producers” I don’t mean those whose paycheck reads “State of Iowa” or even “Iowa State University.” Governments and public institutions SPEND wealth, not create it.

I hope the proper people know what I am saying. After all, my years of pre-college and university education have been subsidized by over $100,000 in today’s dollars.

That wealth came from somewhere and ended up given to me. I owe you guys a beer or something.

When students discuss tuition increases, they must keep in mind the tremendous government subsidy ISU receives. Students must also be vigilant about using accurate statistics in discussions about this issue.

For example, one number I have often heard from student leaders and seen published in the Daily is out-of-state students pay $769 more than their cost of instruction. If true, this would be outrageous and a great way to galvanize support from this demographic.

However, the cost per student at ISU, as computed by state auditors, was $9203.76 during 1995-1996. This figure is from ISU’s Business Office in Beardshear and has presumably gone up since then. Meanwhile, full-time, non-resident tuition as of summer 1997 is $8608. Throw in the fees students pay, and out-of-state students still do not pay $769 more than the cost of their instruction.

Don’t say this too loud in front of the Iowa Legislature, but right now, out-of-staters do not even seem to pay the full cost of their education.

Poorly researched information like the $769 figure make it hard to take student opposition to the tuition increase seriously. This is an important issue, so we should not be in the business of exaggerating numbers for political purposes.

The $769 out-of-state exploitation number should be put in a museum of unfounded statistics with the figure that at least 10 percent of Americans are gay and the figure that one in six women will be raped in college.

The political usefulness of numbers like these should not override their lack of validity.

There is a consensus among the students with whom I have spoken that the 3.9 percent tuition hike is excessively high and the money should benefit students in a more direct way than simply spending it on raises for university staff.

I agree with this opinion, and think students should voice their concerns on tuition; however, they come down on this issue.

A logical place to start is with the sophomore ISU student who is on the Board of Regents. A recent University Times article states she thinks the tuition increase is fair, but hasn’t heard much about the issue from students.

There was criticism last year when our student regent was placed on the board as a freshman. Critics said she may not have the confidence or experience to adequately represent the student body. Maybe this could be the chance to find out if that criticism was justified or not. Is our student regent up to the challenge? We’ll find out.

But first, students need to voice their opinion to her and to others about tuition in a persuasive and honest way.

We have every right to speak out. Students should stand up for their interests, but we also need to stand up for the truth.

Benjamin Studenski is a junior in industrial engineering from Hastings, Minnesota.