Standing for what you believe in

Rhaason Mitchell

My mom always told me “A man who stands for nothing can’t stand for anything.” Yes, I know she took that quote from some famous person, but the point isn’t who said it, the point is what it means.

The fact is that there are plenty of people who need to get their asses off their shoulders, get up off their knees and stop sucking and licking the proverbial penis of society and stand for something.

There are way too many people who will come down on those who stand for what they believe in, yet these same people will never even take a stand when it comes their turn.

Ask yourself these questions: What kind of sense does it make to be an educator, working at an institute of higher learning and yet have no courage to voice an opinion about anything that means anything?

What sort of a so-called college student refuses to have an opinion?

There are a few things on this lovely, green, smog-filled planet that really upset me. But one of them is people who are in a position to say something and those in a position to have a position, but don’t have an opinion.

Maybe this is a little thing to you, but to me this is as high on the list as mom, baseball, sweet potato pie and peach cobbler.

Look at the administration and staff of this university and think of how many people there are that haven’t given their personal non-Jischkeized opinion on Catt Hall or even Veishea. They know who they are so there is no need for me to give any names.

In an effort to not look like a hypocrite, let me officially say the name of Catt Hall needs to be changed and changed immediately.

Having said that, let’s tackle a much deeper issue. This entire Veishea proposal has me a bit perplexed (a $5 word). Let me get this straight — either we pledge to go dry during Veishea or we lose Veishea?

Can this be real? Is this true? It must be. I was there. I heard him say it. My ears aren’t painted on.

So, in yet another effort to sound and look as nonhypocritical as possible, I will throw my hat into the Veishea ring.

So it is with great enthusiasm and yet a little regret that I say I cannot in good conscience say that the Veishea pledge is a valid idea. In fact, I couldn’t say it’s a good idea in a drunken conscience either.

I’m sorry for those who feel differently, but I can’t help but think that somewhere this idea is a little backward.

The pledge is for Iowa State students to take — in hopes of keeping this, next and any future Veisheas as safe as possible.

The part of keeping Veishea safe is not what I have a problem with. What I have a problem with is the attempt to tell a group of 25,000 students, a group that is supposed to be treated as adults, that they can’t drink on Veishea.

The reality of the situation to me is this: most Iowa State students will be doing on Veishea what they do on most every other weekend during the school year — distracting themselves with things they enjoy.

In some cases, this does involve drinking.

But just like many other students who have ever been here for a Veishea, I can tell you the problems at Veishea don’t generally involve those from Ames or students of Iowa State. People like to ignore the fact that most of the problems of Veishea are caused by outsiders.

Any student who is old enough to and has ever gone out to a bar, is unfortunately laughing right now. They are laughing because they live off campus.

Two, they are old enough to go to any bar or any store and purchase alcohol. Finally, it is what they are used to on Veishea.

Veishea is a release for many students — it is generally two to three weeks before finals and is really the last chance for some to kick it.

Perhaps the real pledge should come from the students to provide other distractions to drinking and partying.

So many times people from the Veishea committee or other areas have said that the university doesn’t offer much support for different celebrations.

Well good ol’ Martin Jischke has said that the school will help in any way to make this a reality. Hello! That sounds like a hint-and-a-half for your ass to me.

Take advantage of it; an offer like this won’t come along too often, at least not in my lifetime.

There are plenty of national groups that might perform at Veishea if the theme of Veishea became one of alcohol awareness or partying safely or some other clever slogan.

I, in no way, want to see Veishea cancelled. I don’t want it on the conscience of my fellow Iowa Staters.

I know that there are more out there who feel as I do. So stop sitting there reading this and say something about it.

Better yet, get up and do something, even if it’s just voicing your opinion — do something.

Later y’all.

Rhaason Mitchell is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Chicago.