Senators split on Veishea pledge

Jennifer Spencer

Milton McGriff said he would vote against a resolution for a dry Veishea at Wednesday night’s meeting of the Government of the Student Body.

“I think the ultimatum makes it President Jischke’s choice, not our choice,” said McGriff, non-traditional.

McGriff said GSB should come up with another solution to the problem. “I personally believe the pledge is unenforceable,” he said.

GSB senators discussed the resolution on whether to give their support to a non-alcoholic Veishea for about a half-hour.

The resolution was tabled until next week’s meeting.

Rob Wiese, GSB president, said he wanted GSB to wait until after next week’s open forum to vote on the resolution.

Wiese also said he wanted to wait until after the Inter-Residence Hall Association, Panhellenic Association and Inter-Fraternity Council make their decisions about the pledge.

“[After the forum] they can make an informed and credible decision,” Wiese said.

An open forum regarding Veishea will be held at noon on Friday, Sept. 26, in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. Wiese said a round table discussion for students will follow.

Wiese said the senators are missing the point on the Veishea resolution.

The resolution was amended to state, “The ISU campus and greek system be alcohol-free during Veishea.” The resolution originally stated that GSB should support a dry Veishea.

“It isn’t the wording of the resolution, it’s the commitment and what we can do,” Wiese said.

Mark Holm, IFC president, said the IFC and Panhellenic Council are in the process of making their decisions on the pledge.

Holm said 12 fraternity houses have pledged to be dry over Veishea.

He urged GSB senators to hold their votes until after the greek organizations could make their decisions.

“It’s easy to say that you represent the students, but I don’t know how many of you talk to the students every day,” Holm said.

Daniel Faidley, 1997 Veishea co-chairman, said more than 10,000 students participated in non-alcoholic events last year.

“They participate in the non-alcoholic events, they are leaders in these events,” he said.

Discussion on the Veishea bill will continue at next Wednesday’s meeting.

The bill can continue to be tabled for one additional week at that time, LAS senator Mike Pogge said.

September 29th Movement

Members of the September 29th Movement asked GSB senators to request that the naming process for Carrie Chapman Catt Hall be reopened.

Brian Johnson, chairman of membership, said the Movement has requested a meeting with Jischke and a mediator for the past 13 months.

Johnson said Jischke has not agreed to a meeting with a mediator.

Johnson also said he was confident the Movement could win if they followed the motto “power of empowerment.”

“We can win when we go in,” Johnson said.

McGriff, spokesman for the Movement, said he wants Jischke to understand the importance of the name of the hall.

“If the name on Catt Hall is not important, why is the administration fighting so hard to keep it up there?” McGriff said.

McGriff and other Movement members read parts of Catt’s speech.

The speech included Catt’s comment in the women’s suffrage movement that “women’s suffrage will increase white supremacy.”

McGriff said the comments are relevant today. “Is white supremacy evil today? It was evil in 1920,” he said.

“A lot of people say white supremacy is gone away,” McGriff said. “I think it’s gone underground.”

McGriff said the Movement will not propose a new name for Catt Hall.

“This isn’t about ‘our name is better than your name,'” he said.

Tuition Increase

The state Board of Regents are considering a higher tuition increase in response to negative reactions about a surcharge, Wiese said.

“They’re taking money out of your pocket that you don’t have,” he said.

The regents are proposing a possible 5 percent tuition increase. The regents proposed a 3.9 percent increase at their September meeting.

“Five percent is a joke,” Wiese said.

The regents will make their final decision in November at a meeting in the Memorial Union.

Wiese said he hopes for student action to influence the decision of the regents.

“Everyone needs to be [at the regents meeting] to look them right in the face when they vote,” he said.

Wiese is calling for petitions of students, faculty and staff. He is also asking for students to write letters to the regents explaining their student loan debt.

He said letters from parents would help in the effort to keep the regents from raising tuition.

“Unfortunately, the regents don’t believe that we pay taxes, when actually most of us do,” Wiese said.

Wiese said he and GSB cabinet members will present information to protest against the increase in tuition to the regents in October and November.