Regents propose 3.9 percent tuition increase

Shemeka Sumrall

The state Board of Regents recommended a 3.9 percent tuition and fees rate increase for Iowa State University, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa for the 1998-99 academic year.

The increase at all three universities will generate approximately $8.1 million, regent documents state.

The Special Student Fee Committee, a group of ISU students and administrators, met Friday, Sept. 5, to discuss the possible increase in student tuition and fees at Iowa Regent schools.

Student leaders said the increase is too much.

“We feel that 3.9 percent is excessive when compared to the Higher Education Price Index,” said Rob Wiese, Government of the Student Body president.

The Higher Education Price Index (HEPI) is an annual measurement of the price level of goods and services colleges and universities purchase for their educational operations. The HEPI proposed increase was 2.4 to 4.2 percent.

Wiese said he and members of his cabinet will give a presentation at the upcoming Board of Regents meeting on Wednesday, urging for a lower tuition increase.

College surcharges

However, Wiese said an even bigger problem in the tuition proposal is a plan to establish tuition surcharges for students enrolled in particular colleges at the universities.

For instance, the proposal states all undergraduate students enrolled in the business administration college at the U of I would have to pay an additional $490 a year for computing, technology and other fees.

“The big fight is going to be against the surcharge at the University of Iowa. That could lead to price discrimination based on your college affiliation,” Wiese said.

He said he fears the regents will change their board policy, which now does not allow for different tuition rates within a university.

“U of I wants to charge more for tuition in their business college so they can make it better,” Wiese said. “The same thing could apply here, maybe in our engineering college, because we want to be the best in the nation, too.

“Everyone will agree that we don’t want to see that happen. If this goes through the regents, next year if you are in the engineering college or wherever, you might have to pay more,” he said.

Where the money goes

ISU administrators said the proposed tuition increase would help the universities improve services for the students.

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, said, “There is an effort underway to improve student services.”

He also said ISU’s tuition rates are competitive with other universities.

According to the tuition proposal, increased tuition proceeds will be used for:

* Continued implementation of the four-year graduation plan and improvement of student retention and graduation rates.

* Increased instruction, including expansion of course offerings and instructional hours, and instructional support due to increased enrollments.

* Improved responsiveness to student needs and accommodation of the needs of non-traditional students.

* Increased instruction of introductory courses by senior faculty.

* Continued upgrading of instructional support facilities and increased student access to such facilities.

The possible tuition increase would go into effect the summer of the 1998-99 academic school year if it is approved by the regents.

Computer fees

Among the proposed student fee increases is a $4 increase in computer fees for all students.

The use of computer fees charged to ISU students is a concern of GSB, said Mike Pogge, senator for GSB who attended Friday’s meeting.

In a summary to the Special Student Fee Committee, Pogge expressed concern about computer fees paid by students in certain majors, particularly management information system majors.

“The MIS Department has charged over $100,000 in augmented computer fees to its students over the past three years. In that same time period, only $1,000 of the fees have been spent to improve the computers used by MIS students,” Pogge said.

“We need to reevaluate the use of computer fees. More concrete ground work needs to be laid out,” Pogge said.

An additional $4 increase in student health fees for ISU was also proposed.

The tuition proposal must be voted on and approved by the regents no later than the November board meeting, according to Iowa Code that requires tuition and mandatory fees be set no later than the November meeting preceding the start of the academic year for which the rates will be effective. The code also requires that a 30 day advance notice be given prior to any changes in tuition and fees.

Discussion of possible increases will continue Wednesday at a public meeting with the ISU Board of Regents at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls.