Veishea’s dry or does not fly

Jennifer Spencer

The stage has been set: Either students make the campus alcohol-free during Veishea weekend, or the administration eliminates Veishea altogether.

Students and faculty listened at the first meeting of Government of the Student Body Wednesday night as President Martin Jischke announced his proposal for what students need to do in order to keep Veishea an Iowa State tradition.

Jischke proposed that unless students take the responsibility to “eliminate excessive alcohol on campus or eliminate Veishea.”

Campus leaders said they are willing to make the pledge to keep alcohol off the campus during the three-day celebration.

GSB President Rob Wiese said student feedback and involvement is crucial to the changes necessary to continue Veishea.

“We’re willing to find out what the students want,” Wiese said. “All students need to get involved, or there won’t be a Veishea.”

Wiese also stressed that Veishea discussions are not over. “We’re looking forward to tackling another issue,” Wiese said.

“We’ll take the president’s recommendations to the student body, for the student body is the driving force behind decisions at ISU,” Wiese said in a statement regarding Jischke’s comments.

Veishea general co-chairs Kathryn Whitaker and Ben Dohrmann said they will go ahead and choose students to serve on the Veishea executive community.

“We’re banking on students are going to do this,” Whitaker said. “So when Jischke makes his announcement in October, we’ll be ready.”

Dohrmann said he believes the students will agree to the pledge.

“We’re being optimistic about this. We think the students will do it,” he said.

Casey Powers, former Inter-Fraternity Council senator and current president of Delta Tau Delta fraternity, was enthusiastic about a non-alcoholic Veishea.

“I think it’s perfect,” he said. “It’s actually just what we’re looking for. Jischke should have done it two years before I got here.”

“Better people will come to Veishea because of the right reasons. They’ll come for the tradition instead of the party,” Powers said.

GSB senators questioned Jischke about the plans for an alcohol-free Veishea and its chance of success.

Senator Yasmin Blackburn, off campus, asked Jischke about the implications of a temporary moratorium on Veishea. Jischke said he would rather face the issue of alcohol abuse.

“The overwhelming response is that people would like to see if we can change it,” Jischke said. “We must step up to the alcohol problem. If we can’t deal with it, Veishea will not go forward.”

Blackburn also suggested that the university and community were more lenient with Veishea than other parties because of its longevity.

Jischke said the focus of Veishea has changed.

“When I got here, it was clear that the tradition and showcase had become secondary to the parties,” Jischke said.

GSB senators also stressed the importance of student commitment to a safe Veishea. LAS Senator Kate Kjergaard said she was impressed with Jischke’s statement.

“Being involved in Veishea myself, I think it’s a worthwhile tradition. The students need to commit to this. If there’s any ifs, ands, or buts, we won’t do it,” Kjergaard said.

Engineering senator Bryan Burkhardt said Veishea is a worthwhile event.

“Veishea provides a lot of leadership opportunities for a lot of people. There are several positive public relation and educational opportunities,” Burkhardt said. “I think it’s a great, fun way to sell ISU to prospective students.”

Burkhardt continued to stress the importance of student involvement to save Veishea. “The thing I want most is student feedback,” Burkhardt said. “I hope people take this seriously not only this year, but every year.”