Title IX — will we ever understand it?

Tim Frerking

Title IX, which Congress passed in 1972, was intended to put an end to athletic directors who believed women had no place in athletics. It was intended to change the policies at schools which allowed few or no women to play sports.

Though most schools are in compliance with the law, some remain sadly behind. Let it be known that ISU is very much in compliance with the spirit of the law. A handful, such as Brown University, were in compliance before the law was passed.

Brown historically has provided opportunity for women since it became a co- ed school in 1971. It has been the shining example of what Title IX was intended to create at other schools.

So in 1991, when the school needed to make budget cuts, the school cut 37 men’s varsity sports and 23 women’s varsity sports. Though the women constitute 53 percent of the student body, there are fewer than 53 percent spots for women’s athletics.

Then Amy Cohen, a gymnast, and other women sued Brown University, saying Title IX means the men’s programs alone should have been cut. In other words, special treatment for women, though it would be unfair to the men.

The case is still in the courts, but so far judges have ruled that Brown must fund all the sports women want to play or else cut 213 varsity spots for men.

But that is not what Congress meant when it passed Title IX.

Congress said the numbers must “substantially” reflect the student body. Brown has met this requirement, more so than most schools, and now the courts demand Brown must follow the mathematical analogy to the tee.

But gender-equity doesn’t mean ladies first. It means opportunity for all athletes. Men and women should all have the chance to play sports, but the truth is that more men want to play.

At Brown, men outnumber women eight to one in the intramural sports programs. If more men want to play, then why not afford them the opportunity?

I’m not saying that women shouldn’t be given ample opportunity, but there is no way Brown should have to have 53 percent of its athletes be women when more men want to participate.

Maureen Mahoney, a lawyer for Brown, wrote in a recent Sports Illustrated opinion article, “Title IX should not be read to prohibit a varsity program that is 60 percent male at a university where half the students are women for the same reason that we do not prohibit a collegiate dance program that is 90 percent female or an engineering program that is 70 percent male.

“Who would advocate a rule requiring colleges that receive applications from 100 qualified dancers — 75 women, 25 men — to set aside 25 spaces for men and 25 spaces for women to ensure a gender balance in a program with room for 50 dancers?”

Hopefully, judges who hear this lawsuit will recognize that Title IX means equal opportunity, not strict mathematical equations.

On another note, academia should be more willing to help fund athletics.

At schools across the country, all varsity athletics are pretty much funded by revenue sports such as football and basketball. Professors and students alike cry and moan if the school gives too much of its own money to the athletic department.

These people don’t realize that, though sports can be controversial at times, sports do more good for people than harm. Sports help people to stay fit and healthy. They develop leadership skills and people skills.

Sure, we hear about the Sam Macks and Kenny Pratts because we choose to focus on these people. (When I say “we,” I mean not just the media, but people in general, because ratings and statistics show people want to read about bad news.) But we tend to forget about the Hakeem Abdel-Khaliqs and the Julie Hands.

And universities are about developing young bodies as well as minds.

Young people dominate sports and there shouldn’t be members of academia moaning about giving funds to the athletic department unless it becomes an outrageous amount.

Academia should work to help the athletic department so it wouldn’t have to cut programs like men’s gymnastics.

With enough funds, the athletic department could increase the number of women’s programs.

It would benefit all.

Tim Frerking is a senior in journalism and mass communications from Pomeroy. He is the summer editor in chief of the Daily.