Regents hear report on changes in Extension

Tim Frerking

The Extension Service at Iowa State began in 1903. Stan Johnson, vice provost for Extension, believes it is time for Extension to prepare for the 21st Century.

Johnson made his report to the state Board of Regents Tuesday. Extension at ISU, if it is to continue to lead the nation, is going through a restructuring process which will refocus the purposes of Extension, he said.

Restructuring includes bringing faculty and Extension personnel together for teaching and research projects, more decisions being made at the area and county levels of Extension, finding more outside funding through grants and contracts, encouraging Extension staff members to become educational entrepreneurs and “risk takers,” engaging clients for teaching or research programs, reducing bureaucracy, broadening services and cooperating with other Iowa education institutions.

“If we are to be the best land-grant university, we must have the best Extension Service in the country,” he said. ISU’s Extension Service is the oldest in the nation. He said other land-grant universities are contributing to the restructuring in order so they may see ISU’s example of changing Extension.

“There are some very major trends that Iowa State needs to be aware of and that Extension needs to be aware of,” Johnson said. “Because of the environment we live, a new way of managing Extension would make us a better organization for Iowa State and the citizens of Iowa.”

Johnson said Extension may soon expand into distance education through the Iowa Communication Network. The Network, he said, already plays a major role for training, such as livestock management and environmental care. He sees Extension as a place for off-campus classes.

“Distance learning is more effective with a person on the other end,” he said.

Regent Nancy Pellett, of Atlantic, said she is pleased with the work Johnson has done with Extension. “The people of Iowa are in a crisis in a number of areas. I can’t urge you enough to stand up and be counted on the really tough issues that face the people of Iowa.”

Regent Jim Arenson, of Cedar Rapids, was also pleased with Johnson’s work but had concerns about the necessity of the Extension Service’s 107 offices. The Extension Service has one office in each of Iowa’s 99 counties, one at ISU and one in each of Extension’s seven regional areas around the state.

Johnson said each county office will adjust to the needs of the county. “The issue should not be whether we should have an office or not, the issue should be what kind of service does the county want.”

In other news

The state Board of Regents on Wednesday approved the final 1997-98 school year’s final operating budget, which will total $664.8 million. This is a $12 million, 1.8 percent increase over fiscal year 1997.

ISU President Jischke said the regents did an “exemplary job” of forming the budget. “It’s a very good budget.”

Highlights include:

* $10 million in salary increases.

* $20.9 million for phase-two construction of the Engineering and Teaching Research Facility and $1 million for “reengineering engineering education,” a project for revising learning methods and programs in engineering.

* $6 million for improving undergraduate education as part of ISU’s strategic plan. $3 million of those funds are for student aid.

* About $475,000 in additional funding for library acquisition.

* $9.2 million for livestock research facilities at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

* $400,000 for research projects involving odor control in livestock production.

The Board of Regents listened to reports on budgets for coming years. Jischke asked the regents to consider appropriating more funds to expand Extension. “Except for salary adjustments, it has been two decades since Extension has had an increase of its budget,” Jischke said. “There are clearly needs across Iowa for Extension work.”

Extension had an overall budget of about $53 million last year, $20 million of which was state- appropriated. Jischke asked the regents for an increase of $4 million in 1999 and another $4 million increase in 2000.

Student Regent Lisa Ahrens, an ISU sophomore, was not present at the meeting because she was attending an FFA convention in Washington, D.C. She is the Iowa FFA state president.