Keeping focus on diversity

Kate Adams

Rainy weather did not stop advocates of diversity from sharing their opinions with the campus last Friday.

At the “March for Mercy Through Expressive Diversity” at noon on Friday, a dozen people trekked around campus to show their support of global and campus diversity.

Organizer Jenni McKinney, a senior in linguistics, said although the weather was less than ideal, the march did bring out the “true” supporters of diversity.

“I think everyone here today is concerned about diversity and concerned about promoting a positive campus environment, and I think we’re off to a good start,” McKinney said.

After the group of students, faculty and community members finished the march at about 12:45 p.m., a rally was held by the Campanile.

Keynote speaker Chii Ughanze-Onyeagocha, one of the first African students at Iowa State, said the group should be careful not to let the the campus environment turn back to what it was like in the 1960s.

“Let people know that you will not allow them to go back to the ’60s,” Ughanze-Onyeagocha said. She said the campus environment in the ’60s was filled with racial turbulence and prejudice.

She also spoke on issues of supporting minority youth on campus and explained that while Iowa State has come a long way, there is still a great deal to do.

“Many white students say, ‘I love her. I do not see her color,'” said Ughanze-Onyeagocha.

“This worries me. This is not diversity.”

Ughanze-Onyeagocha said she wants people to notice her dread locks and still accept her, she said.

Spokespersons from the YWCA and Women’s Center also gave talks and promoted events. Lynette Horning, of the Women’s Center, warned against the dangers and prevalence of sexual assault.

Horning said one in 12 men have admitted to rape-like activities and the number of actual offenders is likely higher.

An open microphone session followed the designated speakers; participants and audience members voiced their opinions on diversity issues.

Onward Mandebvu, president of the African Student Association, criticized the Iowa State Daily for poor coverage of international issues and claimed the Daily’s only coverage of Africa was “negative.”

“Minority students are a very significant part of this community and the Daily needs to play a role,” Mandebvu said.

The session carried on through the afternoon, and McKinney said she hopes the march is a start for future efforts on campus to promote diversity.