Movement member waiting for a decision

Tim Frerking

The last September 29th Movement case stemming from November’s unauthorized rally in Beardshear Hall could be resolved within the next two days.

Paul Stucky, a graduate student in electrical engineering, spoke with Dan Robinson, interim vice president for student affairs, asking for an Office of Judicial Affairs appeal and for his OJA files.

Robinson agreed to give Stucky his files, but said he would have to wait 24 to 48 hours for a response to his appeal request.

Stucky was given a written reprimand at a closed OJA administrative hearing last semester. Grace Weigel, the OJA programs coordinator who conducted the hearing, held his hearing even though it had been postponed, something Stucky said he was unaware of at the time. He was denied a formal All-University Judiciary hearing by an AUJ appeal board in February.

Stucky is appealing in hopes of getting his reprimand dropped.

“I think that freedom of speech was violated more so than any other thing in this whole deal,” he said. At first, Stucky’s appeal was based on procedure, but he said he has broadened it to include his role at the rally, which, he said, is a matter of freedom of speech.

“Along the way I realized: Why am I submitting myself to this arbitrary application of freedom of speech when we’re not doing anything outside the spirit of a university?” Stucky said the university should look into providing more avenues for free speech on campus.

Robinson said administrators are working to do just that, including trying to find a method for student groups to hold rallies in Beardshear Hall.

“It’s now on the table for if it can be handled and how it can be handled,” he said.

Administrators, Robinson said, are studying ways to use more inside space for rallies and to provide more free-speech zones outside. “I think progress has been made. The purpose of having these controls within the community is to have everyone’s rights upheld.”

Stucky said it would be good for the university to use his case as an example of a new policy for more free speech. “These things need to be considered from a new point of view.”

Robinson said he agrees with most of what Stucky said.

Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay is putting together a committee to review the university judicial process and to revise the Student Information Handbook.