Senators big on Internet, not high on taking the ISU Food Service private

Tara Deering

After a lengthy on-again, off-again discussion by Government of the Student Body senators at their Wednesday night meeting, a resolution calling on the regents to privatize the Iowa State Food Service was dropped by its author.

Joe Hutchinson, a hotel restaurant and management professor, said at the meeting that the biggest problem he sees with privatizing Food Service is job security. He said what usually happens when private companies take over is wages are cut and benefits are reduced.

Another problem Hutchinson saw with privatizing Food Service was monitoring facilities.

Hutchinson told the Senate that the residence halls are undergoing a study to find out what students “really want.”

“Students’ preferences have changed over the past 25 years and the residence halls recognize that,” he said. “They care about what the students want.”

States Mead, Union Drive Association president, said Food Service has made substantial changes since he started at ISU four years ago. He said from surveys, he has found that most students in the residence halls are pleased with Food Service.

Mark Nimmer, off campus, wrote the resolution. He dropped it after Hutchinson’s presentation, saying his objectives for writing the bill had been met and there was no reason to vote.

“I didn’t think it was going to pass the Senate anyway,” Nimmer said.

That didn’t please many senators.

Timothy Meyer, graduate, said senators are starting to play games with the Senate and students. A motion by Meyer to put the bill back on the agenda passed.

Rodney Morris, TRA senator, said GSB was “meddling.” He said any decision to privatize Food Service isn’t the Senate’s.

Nimmer said he had lived and worked in the residence halls for a long time, and he thought the issue should be brought up. “Discussion was brought up and that’s what I wanted.”

Internet Access

With surprisingly little debate, senators passed a resolution calling on state officials to keep Internet access free for off-campus students. The resolution passed 22-1-1. Nimmer cast the only vote against the resolution.

Michel Pogge, LAS, wrote the resolution in response to a push at the Statehouse to end free Internet access through the Iowa Communications Network for off-campus students and faculty. The issue is now in the hands of Gov. Branstad.

Other business

A heated debate centered on Sunday night’s Constitutional Convention discussion among delegates about specialty seats on the Senate.

About 10 students were present at the meeting to voice their concerns about the possible elimination of specialty seats. Some also criticized senators for their actions at Sunday’s meeting, where the proposed new GSB Constitution was passed.

Students will vote, beginning today, on the constitution. They can also vote to eliminate the seats.