Polishing left for the constitution

Josh Hart and Tracy Deutmeyer

Only one vote is left for delegates of the Government of the Student Body Constitutional Convention before Iowa State students get a hold of the proposed new constitution.

Jamey Hansen, chairman of the convention, said the delegates will vote on final approval of the draft April 15 at 5 p.m.

In the rough draft of the constitution, Hansen said he included various ideas and input generated from convention meetings throughout the year.

Changes include giving students the choice to vote for a special seat on the GSB Senate instead of their college or area of residence, Hansen said. Under the current constitution, students can decide whether they want to give up their college vote, not residence vote, for a special seat vote on the day of elections. Students would decide whether they want to give up their college or residence vote earlier in the year “through some registration process.”

Hansen said this way, students will only be counted once when determining the number of Senate seats for the next academic year.

“If the student decides to be a member of a special population, then they will not be counted for either their college or residence area,” Hansen said.

Convention delegates plan to discuss the issue further on April 15.

Another suggestion for the constitution was to give each college equal representation on the Senate with two senators per college. College representation is currently based on size. One senator is seated per 1,500 students in the college.

Michel Pogge, LAS, disagreed with the change. He said LAS has more students than the other colleges and therefore should have more representation.

The motion to install equal college representation was not approved.

Also included in the new constitution is a speaker of the Senate, who would be chosen by the senators. The speaker of the Senate would have the right to vote only when the speaker’s vote would affect the outcome.

The GSB vice president would no longer chair the Senate, but rather assume other responsibilities. “This is to be a very general constitution, and you just have to trust your government,” Hansen said.

The convention members must complete the new constitution by April 16. The ratification vote date is not set, but Hansen said it will probably be a week-long election that runs through Veishea weekend. Nearly 5,000 students have to vote for the constitution to be ratified. It takes a simple majority for approval.